It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

curiouscupie HB User
subacute cutaneous Lupus and wound healing..

Hey everyone,
I may be having surgery unrelated to Lupus. But the surgeon seems to have concerns that people with the cutaneous type of Lupus heal a lot more slowly, and are at a higher risk for complications after surgery in terms of suture healing at the incision sites. Had anyone with cutaneous Lupus had surgery where they found their incisions had trouble healing???
I'm not on immunosuppressants which can impede on healing...Plaquenil doesn't really fall in that category I'm told.
Thanks,
cupes

Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: subacute cutaneous Lupus and wound healing..

Cupes, Does dental work count in your book? Or lots of deep-punch biopsies before I got answers? I haven't done anything more than these things---and I healed fine. But people probably vary, even without lupus present.

Maybe you could ask your surgeon to talk directly to your rheumie?

Good luck! Vee (also Dx'ed with SCLE, in 2000 & also on Plaquenil)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

curiouscupie HB User

Hi Vee, thanks for replying.
Well just as I suspected that surgeon was really just wanting to use my lupus as an excuse for not wanting to work with me, because he doesn't want to have to deal with any potential complications or a complex patient. I've consulted with another surgeon, and he did not give much validity to the other one's concerns, so needless to say I'll be going with him. Can't trust having a surgeon cut me open who's not confident and trusting of his own abilities, or isn't accurately informed about the implications of our conditions on healing, etc.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Sounded like a bit of crap to me too. I have regular SLE and (if you count this) had my 4 wisdom teeth out last year. Three of them were impacted so it WAS surgery and never had any problems and nobody even questioned healing. The only thing was that they wanted me to have a "recovery dose" of prednisone...where I took more than normal for me like once.

Closed Thread