It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

lmtickell HB User
Test for ANA ?

Hi all,
I had a nuclear ab in Nov 04 and again in Jan 05 and it was run by two different doctors, same lab. My results, titer 1:80 and in parenthesis it shows normal range as (0- 1:80). Some sites I have seen call this a weak positive but neither doctor ever mentioned it. It also said on the lab report that titer > or = to 1:160 should have further DNA evaluation. Does this mean that my results were normal? The first test was done after severe hives and the second one was when I was having pains in my chest area. I had just had a baby and so was not feeling myself. I am fine and no problems but I wonder if this is an issue or not. Any input would be good. RA and Lupus were mentioned for why the test was run but both doctors said results were normal. Any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User
Re: Test for ANA ?

If you are not experiencing any symptoms of lupus or RA (joint pain, rashes, photosensitivity, hair loss, mouth ulcers, etc) then it is probably nothing to worry about. Healthy people sometimes have a positive ANA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Test for ANA ?

Imtickell, Further on the subject of what role ANA plays... ANA results alone don't create a lupus Dx. ANA is only a threshhold test & represents only one rather limited aspect of a possible Dx.

To see the list of lupus symptoms & criteria: go to the "sticky posts" at the top of the Board. Four or more of the "4 of 11", occurring sometime in your lifetime (but not necessarily all at once), create a Dx of SLE.

NOTE: A "lesser" Dx of a lupus "subset" is possible with fewer than 4, e.g., DLE (discoid LE) or SCLE (subacute cutaneous LE) or DILE (drug-induced LE). But, here also, symptoms & test results (like skin biopsies) are required.

More detailed info can be seen via the Resources tab above. Drill down into Diseases/Conditions, then Rheumatology, then lupus.

But I hope your ANA results were due to a passing virus or family tendency. Do you keep up with the basics? Meaning regular checkups, which would include standard blood work (CBC & blood chemistry panel) & urinalysis? I hope all is well with you. Best wishes, Vee

P.S. Best wishes to your baby, too!

Closed Thread