It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Lupus Anticoagulant - Very Confused

I was told by my PCP that I tested positive for lupus anticoagulant. She acted like it was no big deal. She told me to stop taking the birth control pill and to quit smoking (which I am doing anyway - tapering down with the help of a program). She said that since nothing has happened she didn't want to treat me, but I could have a blood clot, or even a stroke. Of course I am totally freaked out about this. I have been online most of the day looking at as much information as I could find, and now I'm even more confused. Do I have APS, or just the LA? Here are my test results:

LUPUS ANTICOAGULANT - DETECTED
PTT-LA - 73 H (range <=40 s)
DRVVT SCREEN - 55 H (range <=42 s)
PHOSPHOLIPID NEUTRALIZATION - Confirmed
HEXAGONAL PHASE NEUTRALIZATION - Not Confirmed
PARTIAL THROMBOPLASTIN TIME, ACTIVATED - 28 (range 22-36 seconds)
PROTHROMBIN TIME WITH INR - 1.0 (range 0.9-1.1)
PROTHROMBIN TIME - 9.9 (RANGE 9.0-11.5 seconds)
CARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODY SCREEN - EQUIVOCAL
ANA SCREEN - NEGATIVE
CARDIOLIPIN IGA AB <10 (range <10=normal)
CARDIOLIPIN IGG AB <10 (range <10=normal)
CARDIOLIPIN IGM AB <10 (range <10=normal)

The items in bold are the ones that the tests results flagged as out of range.

Again, I am very scared about all of this. I am 31 years old and have never had any clotting problems that I know of. I feel like I am just a walking time bomb now. Should I start taking aspirin or something?

Also, getting off the BCP isn't that great for me. I also have PCOS and I am on the pill to regulate my cycle.

Can someone please help me understand those test results? I wish my doctor would have explained more to me, rather than have to sort through everything I have seen online today.

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post to, but I figured I would start here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: Lupus Anticoagulant - Very Confused

Hello,
I am so sorry that your dr. was not helpful to you. I do not know what all of your results mean but I will tell you what I do know. I have the lupus anticoagulant and had a stroke at age 47. That is when we found out that I had it. They actually did several tests for it spaced out over weeks and I tested positive for it each time. I am now on coumadin which is a bloodthinner. I think that you need to have someone else - another doctor look at your results. It is nothing to just ignore or brush off. I would also post on the blood disorders board - there are some very knowledgeable people there as there are on this board. As soon as the right people see your post you will get some better answers than mine. In the meantime, I will be praying for you to get some solid answers. Let us know how you do.
Bern

Closed Thread