It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

cookingmom HB User
lupus nephritis and Cellcept

I saw my rheumatologist today and because my 24 urine test showed protein in my urine and I have swelling in my legs and high blood pressure when it has always been good she has switched me from methotrexate to Cellcept. Has anyone taken this before and if so how did you do? I had to drop the prescription off to the pharmacy because it needs special authorization from the insurance because the cost is about $1,000.00 per month. I don't know what my insurance company will say about this. The drug is normally used for those who have had organ transplants as it prevents organ rejection. I am interested in your experiences with this drug. She is also sending me to a nephrologist. Thanks for your help. Bern

Old 05-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
(female)

Ali04 HB User
Re: lupus nephritis and Cellcept

bern
i am on cellcept with miraculous results. it worked so well for me that my nephritis is in remission. knock wood that it stays that way.

good luck. my insurance covered it. didnt even question it. thank goodness for it, or i dont know where i would be.
ali

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Ali,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy for you that you have gotten such good results. My insurance approved it today with no problem. I will start on Monday. What dosage do you take?

Thanks, Bern

Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
(female)

Ali04 HB User

i am taking 2000mg twice daily.
started at 1000 twice a day but it was not effective.

good luck with it bern. i had such minimal side effects, and i wish the same for you. glad your insurance approved so fast.

ali

Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

cookingmom HB User

seminole,
I too am worried about the lymphoma issue - that is scary. I am going to get extra bloodwork once a week for the first four weeks and then once a month after that to keep an eye on my blood counts etc. Has your dr. ordered this also?

Bern

Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
(female)

Ali04 HB User

all immune suppressive drugs have the risk of cancer. my doc says it is a minimal risk. (if he is lying, please dont tell me..would rather not know..lol)

the cellcept side effects were very minor. yes, i did go into a remission with the nephritis. i was never able to get a biopsy because i have had clots while on coumadin and the risk to take me off was high. they decided to see if the cellcept worked, and if not, go to cytoxan.

i was so happy because i was very afraid of cytoxan treatments. this has been a wonderful drug for me, mixed with prednisone. i have had some funky infections, but i always caught them early, and i am now ok.

good luck guys. good thoughts going to you both.
ali

Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

kshipp1978 HB User

I was on cytoxan and it worked too.Now I am off but am starting cellcept. Do you take it with or without prednisone. Does it help with the flare ups?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Unfortunately, I had to go off of the Cellcept - it sent my liver enzymes sky high. Just be sure to have your regular bloodwork done while you are taking it so that your dr. can keep an eye on that. I wish you great success.

Bern

Old 04-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
(female)

juicemouth HB User

hi,ive been on that medication before[cellcept]but had a bad reaction to it so i get cytoxin now.thats considered a form of chemotherapy. you get an infusion once a month and maintenence dose, two tablets once daily. its been a month since i started and so far im better. well my kidney is and i take proein powder. do you?

Closed Thread