It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
(female)

Suni321 HB User
Arrow Prednisone - love it/hate it - gained weight on it?

So how many of us has this happened to?

I've been on Prednisone for over 6 months after an especially bad bout in the hospital. Currently on a dose of love of 35mg per day. But, I've gain 30lbs on a body that already had that extra 30+lbs I was trying to ignore. But, now at my highest weight in my life I can no longer ignore it. So.... I broke down and made myself buy some new inexpensive clothes. (Thank goodness for Old Navy $5 American TShirts). Couldn't keep convincing myself that the weight would come off & I wouldn't need to.

I look like a pumpkin head with these very round moonface cheeks - skinny legs & a belly that's clocking at oh the size of woman at her 6th month of pregnancy. (Nope not pregnant & if another person asks it's going to be a hissy fit). I'm laughing now but, it took a couple of weeks to get to the laughing portion - the last couple of months I didn't want to go outside & run into someone I knew. My normally stable self esteem disappeared as fast as a cookie laying on my counter these days. (Had to have poor hubby hide the chocolate from me a second time! It was one of those - had to have it things - couldn't control it).

Luckily I'm still working on tapering down on the Prednisone & hope my preoccupation with food will come to an end. If only we can drop 10 pounds a day - wow - now that would be perfection IF we could do it and still be healthy! I know everyone is probably thinking but, if the drug is making you feel better shouldn't this "stuff" of it's negative effects be taken with a grain of salt. And do believe it is. The days where I can actually walk upright or use my hands to grip something these things - are celebrated for sure.

So that's my vent & if there's anyone else that can empathize let me know. I'm very curious at what dosage of Prednisone you noticed that you weren't as pre-occupied with food & the weight started to come back off.

And please please please if you are one of those fortunate ones who haven't gained a pound on Prednisone & you're still eating a gallon of ice cream without gaining an ounce - Congratulations but, could you not mention it? It just makes us Moonfaces a bit bitter. All said in love of course!

Last edited by Suni321; 05-15-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
(female)

nickkaylee HB User
Re: Prednisone - love it/hate it - gained weight on it?

Okay here we go. I soooo hear you on this lol. When I started taking prednisone, back shortly before I was diagnosed, I gained 30 lbs. in a month! I literally popped 2 pairs of pants! The zipper just broke lol. At 5'1" and weighing in at 105 lbs. after two kids you can imagine how utterly crushed I was when I gained that much weight that fast. My face just ballooned up. Also ended up with a belly that looked like I had just given birth! Since the pills helped take my pain away I endured the pain of my new-found package but was terribly depressed. I hated to look in a mirror and didn't like going anywhere. I never did gain any significant amount of weight after that first HUGE jump. Finally after trying for a long time without success to taper down on the prednisone I was able to get down to 10 mg. a day. I stayed on that dose for years and eventually went down to 5 mg. a day which I am still at now. I joined a gym and started eating better...not necessarily a diet but started drinking diet soda (cut out 100s of empty calories a day that way) and watched what I ate a little more. I ended up losing 28 lbs. I slacked off and stopped going to the gym and gained 5 back but I plan on starting back up shortly with my exercising. Good luck to you and hope this helps!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User

I feel your pain. A whole bunch of us feel your pain, lol. We all know that prednisone is the only thing that helps some of us to function and not be in pain and keep the lupus from getting worse. But sometimes it is hard to deal with the physical transformation that it brings on. I was a big, healthy girl before lupus and prednisone, 5'9", 180lbs, size 12/14, but big girl with a flat stomach, even at 180lbs. I thanked my genetic stars that the women in my family didn't gain weight in the stomach area, mostly in the legs and hips.

I started losing weight and was ecstatic, down to 162lbs and I could wear a size 10 again, something I hadn't done in a decade. Yeah! Only to find out that it was lupus that was making the pounds drop off without even trying. So, after losing over ten pounds in one month with zero effort (and finding out that I had kidney involvement), the doctor said it was time to pull out the prednisone. Stopped the weight loss in its tracks. That was nearly two years ago, and I am now 215 lbs and counting.

I didn't know how vain and proud I was about my flat stomach until I lost it. Prednisone deposits fat in the abdominal area especially. I always said before, hey, I may have a big butt, but my stomach is flat! Now, everything is big! (I must admit that I am enjoying my bigger boobs, though, lol. Somehow, having 38 D's just feels so womanly and powerful in a way I can't exactly describe.) Changing the style and cut of clothes I buy has been a real adjustment. I look down and see this large round stomach that looks like I am about 5 months pregnant and this body feels alien to me, and I can't believe it is really mine. I know that I could start exercising and some of this weight would drop off, so part of the problem is just not being lazy, finding the time, and taking action to make a change.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
(female)

Lorrie fox HB User

I Can Totally Relate. I've Taken Steroids Off/on For Several Years Now. My Family Gave Me A Nickname....prednisone Patty. I Would Gain About 40 Lbs Each Time. People Would Ask If I Was Pregnant! Scary! I Had A Hysterectomy At Age 28. Also, I Became Very Moody, Followed Everyone Around The House, Picking Up After Them, Griping The Whole Way...the House Was Clean. Didn't Sleep Well. Try Going From 15-130 Lbs, 5 8", To 170-175 Lbs. How Depressing Is That? It Was Like Postpartum Depression, Laughing One Minute, Bawling The Next! Now I'm On Them Due To A Brown Recluse Bite From 2 Days Ago. Yeah, I'm With You All The Way. Sorry. Hope Things Get Better, Moon Face Patty Signing Off.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
(female)

JANICE LAZURE HB User

Suni, We feel your pain. Our 11 year old daughter has the moon face and has gained 20 lbs on her tiny frame since Feb. She is getting teased at school about her cheeks and red rash. We have involved teachers and counsellors. She is on 9mgs and weaning 1mg every month as long as there is no flare! Does anyone know when the puffy face dissapears? After 5 or after 0. Summer is here too and she is miserable about long sleeve shirts, no swimming outside, 60spf, hats and hair loss. We have things planned for summer to occupy her but the mood swings can be killers. She says she can handle all the biopsies, blood tests, doctors visits, restricted physical stuff if she could just please get her old face back. Sorry just had to vent to someone who's been there.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Hopefully her face will start to return to normal soon. I take 5 mg. a day and no longer have the round face.

Closed Thread