It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
(female)

SLEopy HB User
Question Prednisone 80/mg per day

Hi

I haven't really used message boards before. But I am getting a little desparate to know if my syptoms are from the overkill dose of pred or is it the lupus

Has anyone else experienced this kind of dose longer than a few days? I started to lose function in my legs by mid week. By End week I could hardly walk...both my leg muscles were weak and ..the bones felt like they could break if I just stepped a little to hard....But boy that rash is sure gone.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
(female)

nickkaylee HB User
Re: Prednisone 80/mg per day

When I first started out 10 years ago I was put on prednisone. I think the dose was around 60 mg. a day but not 100% sure. I do know that I was tapered down as low as I could go over about a week or two. I ended up only getting down to like 20 mg. but I never had any side effects from it other than gaining 30 lbs. that first month!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Everyone experiences meds differently. A friend of mine took pred and thought she was losing her mind on it. She her whole body starting shaking, got all jittery, her mind was racing, heart was pounding. She said after 3 days of that she stopped taking it on her own & told her doc never again. My sister can't stand the stuff & always gains a bunch of weight, gets moonface and alot of water retention. She has refused to take it lately but I wish she wouldnt refuse due to one condition she has in her lungs. The pred is the only thing that keeps in under control. For myself, I had started on 40mg per day and it was a godsend for me. It didn't seem that I had any side effects at all. Over 8 months of taking it (and tapering off) I actually lost a few pounds, had all my energy back, and my brain fog was gone. But I know it's not good to stay on this drug too long, which is a shame because it the only med I've tried that helped me so much.

I have felt like I was losing my leg function while in flares (and I was not taking any meds at the time). Ive also felt the same in my arms. So it's really sooo hard to tell.

If you are really concerned if its the drug or the flare, I would call your doctor & let them know. I would also ask your pharmacist if that is a side effect. Pharms know alot more about the drugs than docs do. Good luck & keep us updated!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

Ellipsis HB User

When I first got diagnosed (11 years ago) I was on about 60 mg of Prednisone for a few weeks. I had been sleeping about 18 hours a day and had NO energy when I was awake, and the Prednisone helped out with that tremendously! I didn't gain any weight, but I was also really strict about my diet back then.

I've been on lower doses of Prednisone a few times since then (30 mg or less) and the only side effects I've experienced were slight weight gain (6 pounds at the most) and insomnia.

With me, Prednisone has always kicked in pretty quickly, so your symptoms might be related to the drug. Have you let your doctor know about what's going on? Keep us posted. I'm curious to know what happens. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread