It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

Mickey32 HB User
red, lacey rash on thigh

Hi. I hope everyone is doing well. I had a question about a rash that I noticed on my thigh today. You guys were so helpful about a question that I asked before about the malar rash I thought you might know about this as well. I know you are not doctors though. I noticed that while I was driving today a red, lacey type rash started to appear on the inner part of my right thigh. I can stil lnotice it but it looks better than it did before. Could this be from sun exposure? It is very sunny here. I haven't been diagnosed with Lupus yet, just Raynaud's, Sjogren's, Hypothyroidism, and MS. That's about it so far. I have an appt scheduled with my dermy later this month for some other issues. Thanks for reading and for any info you might be able to give.

MIchelle

Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: red, lacey rash on thigh

Michelle, Does this appearance on your thigh stay for days or weeks, like a rash might? Or is it a transitory thing? Does it seem to affect the outermost skin, or does it appear to be something going on beneath the skin surface?

There is something called "livedo reticularis" that looks like a checkerboard* pattern ( * = Dr. Daniel Wallace's word) underneath the skin surface. It's a sign of disordered blood flow. (I have this fairly often; most visible on the pale skin on the underside of my forearms. In past, I had the mottling over much of my body, especially when in Florida sun.)

Has your dr. ever seen it?

Bye for now. Best wishes to you, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User

That lacey rash sounds familiar. I had it on my thighs for months before I was diagnosed. I had seen it there, but paid it no mind, thought it was just from heat or my clothes rubbing together on my thighs. But it kept getting more pronounced, went from light red to darker red to purplish, and kept spreading out. It is not really a rash in that it is not on the surface of the skin, but below the surface and just shows through on light skin. If I am not mistaken, it is something like VeeJ said, due to disordered blood flow, from the blood vessels being subject to inflammation due to lupus. It looks “lacey” or mottled because the small capillaries are distributed just under the surface of the skin in a lacey, spider-webby kind of way. Since you have not been diagnosed with lupus, maybe not, but sounds suspicious. Logic would say that sun exposure would definitely make it more pronounced if you are one whose disease is aggravated by the sun, as most of us here are. Once I got on my medication, it slowly faded over a period of a few months.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

Mickey32 HB User

Thank you both for your replies. Vee, I just noticed this lacey like appearance on my thighs yesterday. I notice it's there a little bit today, but it doesn't seem to stand out as much. It does seem to be on the outermost skin. My dr. hasn't seen it yet, but I have an appt. with my dermy at the end of this month for some other issues. Again, thank you both for your replies. You guys are always so helpful.

Michelle

Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

jjcali HB User

sounds like livedo reticularis to me. i have it too and my Rheum never seems concerned when I show it to him. bears some relation to vascultis.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Hi Michele, I've had the livedo reticularis rash for years. But, until this last one didn't know that it had a name. I usually get it on my legs/ feet/ arms/ hands and there tend to be small white circular spots in between all the lacey spider patterns. On my feet & hand palms the rash can be very pronouced and to the point of "reddish/purple". I get the rash when I'm cold, hot, agiated, in pain - you name it. So I pretty much see it every day. But, as far as doctor's no one seems to be concerned about it. Since it's an indicator of other things you'd think it would be of more interest but, who knows.
But, do have your doctor take a look & identify it & note it. That's important.
Let us know what happens.
Suni

Closed Thread