It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

tracylyn12077 HB User
Nausea?

I have had extreme nausea since I've had lupus. It went away for a while and I've always had this fear it would come back. It has now. I went to a rheumatologist who was very cold ( I did not go back) and he said nausea was not a symptom of lupus. I have read extensively about it and I see it is not listed, but I also know that lupus is a great disguiser. It mimics so many diseases and can cause so many problems in different systems including the digestive system and the brain. It is possible nausea could be coming from another "symptom". My question is: Does anyone else have horrible nausea or am I the only one?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
(female)

kimnyc HB User
Re: Nausea?

One of the worst flares I have had involved a lot of GI symptoms. I was sick to my stomach, had bad diarrhea, fatigue, joint pain that made it difficult for me to drive home from work, etc. And this was before I was diagnosed, so I wasn't on any medications that irritate the stomach or intestines.

I have seen a lot of conflicting reports on whether or not the GI system is impacted by lupus. Some say yes, some say yes but it's due to medications, and some say no. I have to say that, from my personal experience, I believe lupus does affect the stomach and intestines. Like many others on this board, I was diagnosed with IBS, and I find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that so many lupus patients also suffer from IBS. Actually, now that I'm thinking back, my endocrinologist (I am also hypothyroid) said that the digestive system is lined with many, many immune cells (maybe not "cells" but the conversation happened awhile ago), and if any antibody (in my case, he was talking about the hypothyroid) is "active," the body is going to activate your immune system in response - hence the agitated digestive system. I'm wondering if the same holds true for the antibodies associated with lupus.

Perhaps others will weigh in here. There are very knowledgeable people on this board!!

Hope you're feeling better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

pambyboo HB User

I too was diagnosed with IBS- and it was the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and started having symptoms of lupus. I still have frequent nausea and just cramping abdominal pain when I overall don't feel well.
pambyboo

Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
(female)

amieg HB User

I was diagnosed with IBS about 15 years ago; along with a hiatal hernia. (You wouldn't believe how many phantom diagnosis I had for 20+ years.) This was long before I was diagnosed with Lupus (1.5 years ago). Before that, in my early twenties they said I had an "invisible ulcer". Then later they told me everyone that has had kids has a hiatal hernia and acid reflux.

[My definition of a phantom diagnosis is one they make based on speculation and no real solid test results.]

As for the Lupus. I don't think any of us know for sure when we first had Lupus, so its hard to tell what is from what. But, I think its part of the Lupus. Even if it is not necessarily a direct symptom of Lupus; but they are a by product of the whole issue. Plus, the fevers, migraines, medications, exhaustion, stress, and other symptoms probably exacerbate it.

The medication part of it I manage by taking them at night before bed. Then I can go sleep on the upset stomach rather than try to struggle through the morning with it.

You aren't alone!!
Angie

"Be careful about reading health books, you may die of a misprint." ~~Mark Twain

Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I have had bouts of nausea and vomitting while in bad flares. My first "flare" started when I was around 20 and I am now 37. Mind you I had never ever been to a rheumatologist until about 3 yrs ago and had never been diagnosed with anything until then. But while in some bad flares, I would get sudden nausea sometimes with vomiting, sometimes without. Other times I would just suddenly violently vomit without warning as soon as I started to eat something. I would even vomit ginger ale, crackers, plain soup, even water. Strange thing was I didnt feel any stomach or intestinal pains, no burning, nothing except nausea and sudden vomitting. But I would have joint pain and swelling, sometimes rashes, nose bleeds, bladder infections and severe fatigue as well as alot of hives at the same time as the nausea/vomiting episodes. The few times I did go to doctors, they never wanted to hear my "list" of symptoms that were happening to me...one even told me to stop, that I was being ridiculous going on with all these symptoms!!!!!!! (needless to say I never went back there).

I finally had health insurance & went to a rheumy about 3 yrs ago. I started getting all these symptoms again, he did all the tests ( and they all came back " normal" <eyeroll> even with all those symptoms and severe visible, palpable joint inflammations ) but anyway, he had me try various anti-inflammatories. Nothing worked, I got worse, so he put me on Prednisone and Plaquenial. The pred magically made every single symptom I had go away, including the nausea and vomiting! Since then , I've also been having severe back and spine pain & swelling, which is supposedly not related to lupus. Some of the pain was so severe that I started vomiting, though this seemed so different than when I was vomiting while in a flare. From my spine symptoms, I knew I had severe pain which was causing me shaking & tremors and it seemed the pain was making my brain signals make me vomit. So im not sure if my nausea/vomiting was always just linked to pain or to inflammatory process.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
(female)

tracylyn12077 HB User

Thank you all so much. I have also had a doctor tell me that nausea was not a symptom of lupus, but he doesn't live with it! I get so frustrated at them telling me what I should feel and what I shouldn't. Just because they read the books doesn't mean that everything lupus can do is in there! I work in the medical field, I know how tricky the body can be and I also live with lupus. I know what it does. My digestive track hasn't worked well since I was first diagnosed. I have had many problems with it including limited motility in the esophagus. Although I've never been diagnosed with IBS (because I hate going to the doctor) I'm sure I could be...I have too many problems to just ignore it....I'm glad I'm not alone...thank you all.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

I am going through a bad bout of nausea right now-- has been going on for about 10 days & I know it is not a virus. I am also having more joint/muscle pain the last few weeks. I have also been wondering is it related to the lupus?
I get tired of asking my rheumy if things are related to lupus--if my ANA is negative he insists--no. I disagree, but it gets me nowhere except aggravated.
I am going for labs tomorrow morning- but they are always ok...sigh--good thing, but also frustrating. I am only on Plaquenil, in fact my dose was reduce a few months ago from 400 to 200 per day-- & since then things seem to be worse...including stomach pain, gas & this God awful nausea.

Please let me know--anyone else - when your ANA is neg as well as complement levels CRP ,etc.. does you rheumy insist your lupus is fine? Tell me if I'm crazy, but from what I've read this disease does crazy things ! My ANA was positive when diagnosed but ever since I'm told I am fine lupuis wise--ok, then what's wrong with me ?
I cannot take Pred due to glaucoma so I don't push for that. I used to take Vioxx & I miss it teribly--can't take Advil because of these stomach isues -- so it's just the Plaquenil. Maybe it's the fibro that goes with the lupus causing the digestive issues ?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
(female)

tracylyn12077 HB User

It's so frustrating! I know how you feel! My nausea drives me insane and the only thing I can relate it to is the digestive problems I've encountered or possibly related to my brain in some way. I have spells of dizziness so sometimes the nausea comes with that. My ANA has always been positive so I don't know if that affects it or not. I seem to have more questions than answers for you....I'm wondering if being on the plaquenil affects the results of the ANA but not your symptoms.....I hope someone else posts on this, I would like to know as well.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Tracylyn- thanks for putting it better than I did last-- forgive me I was so sick to my stomach last night I had trouble typing.
I wonder also if the Plaquenil gets the ANA to go neg & perhaps keep the disease from going wild, but it's still there & can still cause symptoms...my doc seems to think if ny ANA is negative then any complaint I have is not in his field. I have gotten along very well with him for 5 years but this is starting to get to me. We all know antibodies can come & go even within a day..but he insists if I am flaring in ANY way the ANA must be positive.

Anyone else have input on this ?
Maybe we should make a new thread....

Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Tracylyn- thanks for putting it better than I did last-- forgive me I was so sick to my stomach last night I had trouble typing.
I wonder also if the Plaquenil gets the ANA to go neg & perhaps keep the disease from going wild, but it's still there & can still cause symptoms...my doc seems to think if ny ANA is negative then any complaint I have is not in his field. I have gotten along very well with him for 5 years but this is starting to get to me. We all know antibodies can come & go even within a day..but he insists if I am flaring in ANY way the ANA must be positive.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User

Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
(female)

micandlebunkin HB User

I had constant severe nausea for a whole year!! Rheumatologist seemed stumped. (He tinkered with every medicine I was on looking for an allergic reaction...or something). Finally after I lost 80 lbs I insisted they hospitalize me and see what was causing it. Hospital and Rheumy played game of having the other figure it out. Finally Rhuemy adjusted my Prednisone dosage and instantly - no nausea! Had to adjust again, of course, or 80 lbs would have came back on way too quickly - ha-ha! Rhuemy finally conceeded that the nausea must be due to Lupus. It has been 7 months and I feel much better. Occasional moments of nausea; but taking it easy for a day seems to ward it off. If I absolutely cannot lay around and relax I take Phenergan (anti-nausea medication) and that helps...once it kicks in.
Hope This Helps!
Trudi (MI)

Old 08-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Thanks everyone for their comments, I have never associated nausea and or the IBS with lupus. And there may be no association medically, but I also have both symptoms and have had a pretty good flare of both lupus and IBS symptoms at the same time lately. I have been told that IBS can cause nausea so I have always associated the two together.

I also take prednisone daily and use to take plaquenil. I did have more intestinal discomfort on the plaquenil, had to give up all dairy products while on it.

Glojer

Old 08-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
(female)

tracylyn12077 HB User

Thank you all so much for your posts. I feel so alone sometimes and now I can visit this site and talk about my lupus to people who understand. My nausea is getting worse every day so I'm making an appt. with my rheumy again. I am taking phenegran almost every day which makes it hard to work, but I have no choice. My appetite is decreasing, which never happens, so I know something must be wrong. Thank you all so much!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
(female)

TAYTAY1 HB User

My rheumy moved in June. The new doctor told me that my labs were fine and had been, and is even wondering if I have lupus. He has done xrays on all the joints I have complained with (all negative, of course) and has decided that I suffer from burcitis in my hips. Most of my stomach problems have been with diarrhea, and I attributed that to the plaquenil. I also take arthrotec, which has a stomach medicine mixed with it, and cymbalta, because my previous rheumy told me that it was all in my head (talking about your pain centers). It has helped somewhat, and I can tell if I miss a dose. I am so glad to know that I am not the only one that has had the problem with the doctor thinking because bloodwork is fine, I should not be in pain. It is soooo disgusting.

Closed Thread