It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
(female)

pelchatk HB User
Thyroid & Lupus?

Does anyone here have Thyroid problems along with Lupus? It turns out that I have Thyroid Perox. antibodies. I was told it meant that I would have Thyroid disease in the future. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

micandlebunkin HB User
Re: Thyroid & Lupus?

I have SLE and was tested positive for Hashimoto's, which is a thyroid autoimmune disease. I do not have symptoms enough to bother with the expense of medication for it. I just wait and see.
Tru
Michigan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
(female)

enigma3 HB User

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis six years ago, when I was 24, and I have also now been diagnosed with Lupus (back in March). I have been on full thyroid medication replacement since I was diagnosed with the thyroid problem, and I can definitely say that it was around that time (that I was diagnosed) that I noticed all of my autoimmune problems beginning. It was really such a scary experience to feel so ill all of the time, when I was normally very healthy. I was terrified to find out what was wrong with me, and was told it was autoimmune thyroid disease. Unfortunately, it took many more years of wondering why I could never feel "normal" anymore, especially energy-wise, for me finally to find a doctor who looked over all of my past medical history, and take into account all of my symptoms that have progressed so slowly and elusively, and prescribe Plaquenil, which has already turned my life around so significantly. It almost brings me to tears whenever I have to explain it to anyone because I am just so grateful.

Lisa

Last edited by enigma3; 09-28-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

pelchatk HB User

Thank you both for the reply.
Lisa, I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. I see my doctor again 10/2 and I'm going to talk to him about starting Plaquenil. He has talked about it before, all he has given me so far is Cor.ster. and anti-infl.
Do you get with spots on your skin at all? I have little tiny de-pigmentations on my forearms. I heard it can sometimes be thyroid related. Just wondering.
Thanks,
Tara

Old 10-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
(female)

enigma3 HB User

Hi Tara,

I have had a few occasions since I was about 10 years old (about four times total), where I have broken out in severe hives all over my body for no reason, and had to get medication for it. But it wasn't until about three years ago until I first started to notice any frequent-occuring type of rash, that a lot of lupus sufferers experience. Knock-on-wood, I don't have any daily severe problems with rashes, but for the last few years, I have often had problems with itchiness and patches of redness (from itching) on my legs. Sometimes it has also been on my arms, but mainly always a problem with my legs. The interesting thing is that I never used to have that problem until a few years ago, which was around the time my other lupus symptoms (especially daily severe fatigue and neck/shoulder/back pain) had started showing themselves. I had seen two different dermatologists who only dismissed it as allergic reactions to soaps, laundry detergents, etc., when I knew for a fact (and tried to tell them) that it was not from anything like that. I'm always very aware of using new soaps, detergents, etc., and hadn't at all been doing that, plus I won't put anything on my skin anymore that isn't an all-natural type of product.

Anyway, that is what I have experienced as being part of my autoimmune diseases, but I know everyone is so different.. Hence the reason many doctors (who don't understand about testing for autoimmune problems) want to get you out their door as fast as possible because symptoms can be so confusing and elusive! I wish you luck in finding answers.. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Take care for now,
Lisa

Closed Thread