It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User
Question could it be Lupus????????

OK, here's my problem, 2 years ago I was pregnant and miscarried, at the time I saw the family doc for hives. She saw the skin peeling on my hands and told me to see a dermatologist. I did, they tested the skin on my hands and said it was eczema. OK, found out after the miscarriage I was hypothyroid, my family dr said good, I was thinking Lupus. Then 3 mos later I got pregnant again, and got the hives. But this baby made it. I was on thyroid meds at that time. Ok, fast forward to now....2 weeks ago I got dizzy in school, started college 6 weeks ago. I had an eye exam that day, eyes were dilated, and I have been dizzy every since. But along with the dizzyness I had other problems, so here goes...Dizzyness, headache for 6 days straight, stiff neck, muscle weakness, blurred vision, tunnel vision when dizzy spell gets worse, my arms get numb, then cold, especially my hands, pressure in my head, ears feel they need to pop, eyes feel like theyre going to pop, confusion, some slurred speach during dizzy spell, and my eyes have swollen, and I feel really weak and tired when I try to walk. I've been tested for ANA and arthritis, both which were positive, I'm slightly anemic, my creatinine in blood work was high, RBC, hemaglobin and hematicrit was low, I ended up in the ER, had a CT scan, which was negative for a tumor, Family doc suspected a stroke, I'm having an MRI done tonight, and ER doc suspected ears. I went to a ENT today, which said my ears looked fine but scheduled me for a hearing test. So my question is, could my family doc have been right 3 years ago, and it could be Lupus? Could the stress of school caused a Lupus flare? The last time I got really sick was after my daughter was born, but they said my Thyroid meds were too high. A rhumatologist which tested my ANA put me on Naproxen, but said as long as I felt ok he wasn't going to put me on any other meds. He was never clear on whether I had Lupus or not. But he tested my ANA after I was positive for arthritis. Should I have my family doc test me since she suspected Lupus 3 years ago? I also seem to have some memory loss or confusion alot these past 2 weeks to.

Last edited by Jamie2703; 09-29-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: could it be Lupus????????

Dear Jamie, I hope your MRI went OK. As for whether you may have lupus, not being a dr., I obviously couldn't say with any accuracy. But obviously you've had enough symptoms & some test results, including positive ANA, to suggest that MORE tests would make sense. Right here on the Board, you could read---
1. The "sticky post" about lupus. It lists the 11 ACR criteria for *systemic* lupus. Four (or more) are required at some time, not necessarily all at once, to support a Dx of SLE. (FYI, the lists also applies to lesser forms of lupus, like discoid lupus or subacute cutaneous lupus---people with these lesser forms meet less than "4" criteria.)
2. The "sticky post" for antiphospholipid syndrome. This is a clotting disorder that is seen in a fair # of lupus patients, in people with RA, and it can occasionally occur "standalone" (I think).
3. The "sticky post" on "test results" has mulitple posts in it, one of which lists a resource that has a great deal of info on specific blood tests for the autoantibodies most often seen in lupus.
4. Plus the search box above is a great tool.

FYI, ANA can be positive in *several* diseases (lupus, RA, scleroderma); or due to a passing virus; or even due to a family tendency. So ANA in & of itself doesn't provide much more than a strong starting point suggesting the need for other more specific tests.

I've read that rheumatoid factor can be positive in RA, in lupus, and maybe some other things, too. But I don't think it alone is enough to create a Dx of rheumatoid arthritis, and I think also the RF level is meaningful (high vs. low).

Anyway, I hope you post back after your MRI. Also, I know there are people here with thyroid issues, so maybe some of them can add more on that concern. Thinking of you & hoping you are getting some much needed answers, sincerely, Vee

Old 09-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

Jamie2703 HB User

HI! Thanks for the response, it was helpful. The MRI and MRA went ok, but I wont know anything until around the begining of the week. The man who did the MRI said my doctor will "discuss the findings with me". So that makes me wonder if they "found" anything. I think I will talk to her about testing for lupus, since she was the one who suspected it years ago. So I think she would strongly agree. I also looked the "butterfly rash" up on the internet to see photos of it. It looks just like what I get if I'm in the sun for 10 minutes. I always thought it was sunburn, but it never peels and is gone in a couple of days, like 2 days or so. And if I take a hot shower I get these circular welt looking things on my face, I have ever since I was a child, I always hated those. Well, I'll let you know what they say about the MRI and if they start the testing for lupus. Thanks so much for your information and time.

Last edited by Jamie2703; 09-30-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Jamie. Glad you got thru the MRI & MRA. I think it's a SOP (standard operating procedure) that the test person tells you that your dr. will go over results with you, so you probably shouldn't worry about that. For starters, often these people are technicians, not doctors; plus they see only parts of you & only for a few minutes, at that... Hang in there, OK?! Bye for now, Vee

Closed Thread