It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

windycity HB User
Nose Bleeds??!!!??

Yesterday I got the first nosebleed of my life, and then another. They were both extremely long lasting and VERY bad. I swallowed so much blood I got nauseated. I am going to a rheumy Thurs, but does anyone happen to know what could be causing this, or if it is unrelated to lupus? Thanks everyone! =)

Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Nose Bleeds??!!!??

Hello thre,

I have lots of nosebleeds, most of them just as you describe. I know the reason for my own but wouldn't dream of trying to diagnose yours.

Yes, lupus can cause problems with nosebleeds but that could be from a part of lupus or because of the treatment we have to have. If for instance you have problems with patelets being too thick, then blood thinning drugs can help that but can also cause excessive bleeding too. Medications can be the cause of blood thinning out more than is "normal". I would in your case make a point of asking your rheumy what "might" be causing it. Only he/she can obviously make a diagnosis. It could be because of a problem with your platelets or indeed anything. Not being evasive, just making sure you know that this, as with any other problems, must be asked at your appointment.

It might/might not have anything to do with lupus. You could have even knocked your nose in your sleep and damaged blood vessels at the back of the nose, blown your nose a little too much if you have the sniffles, the most obvious one I can think of is that you might be having sinus problems which can lead to irritation of the area, which in turn can lead to bleeding. Honestly there could be so many reasons for it, but it really does need mentioning to your doctor though. Don't forget even if it stops before you get to your appointment, you must ask him/her. Good luck.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 10-17-2006 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User

windycity, on many lists of symptoms associated with lupus, you will find nosebleeds. I am not exactly sure what the reason for this is, other than if you are one of those whose mucous membranes are dried out by lupus, which technically would probably be secondary Sjogren's, though you can have this without having lupus also. In that case, the membranes in your nasal cavity could get dry enough to crack open and bleed at the smallest provocation. It might not be lupus or Sjogren's, but there must be a reason why nosebleeds are one of the symptoms we tend to have. Mine would bleed like a faucet when I touched my nose wrong while washing my face or pulled a shirt over my head. Like you, I never had a nosebleed in my life until around age 30, and they just started suddenly. Doctor said the indoor winter heat must have dried my membranes out so much. yeah, right. Stopped just as suddenly as it started.

Since my first official onset of lupus about 3 years ago, I notice that everything bleeds more and heals slowly. I might peel a tiny scab off a scratch on my hand and think nothing of it, only to discover a minute later that blood is running down my fingers and dripping on the floor. I scratched a little bump on my scalp, didn't hurt or anything, and discovered later that it hand bled all under my hair. Every pimple, burn, and scratch leaves a bigger and darker scar. It is all so weird.

Good luck at the rheumy.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

windycity HB User

Thank you both so much for your thoughts. I'm definitely looking forward to getting a lot of answers on Thursday with my rheumy. I had one doctor unofficially diagnose SLE recently, so that's why I'm going to this rheumotologist to make sure. I don't really know what to think. My mom had very bad SLE and died last year from complications of it. I'm 21(I know it usually starts around this time) and I basically accepted that I have the disease before I was even told I did. The nosebleeds did freak me out initially, but now I feel much better knowing I'm not alone in those! Thanks so much, and I'll update everyone after my appt.!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya windycity,

At your appointment tomorrow, don't forget ask and ask all of the questions that are on your mind. Even if things seem small, still find out about them.

As I said previously I have had lupus since I was a child, I was diagnosed in about 4 or 5 days, so it is something that I have quite an extensive knowledge of. Emotionally too it is such a big thing, so if I can be of help in any way let me know.

Having said that, I still have questions to ask and answers to get so this is why I always stress to other lupus patients the importance of asking questions too. I hope that you can get a firm diagnosis either way and that you can come back here and ask away and know that there is always someone who will be here for you. Good luck for tomorrow.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 10-18-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
(female)

windycity HB User

Goldenwings-

You are the sweetest!! Thank you so much for your advice. I have actually been keeping a list of symptoms for a few months now since they've been their worst. Once I started writing down all the symptoms initially, I thought about what my mom went through (she had severe SLE) and I started to put it all together. If I had to guess I've probably had it since I was a kid too. I always had those bad "growing pains" that always went ignored by doctors, bad kidney/bladder infections, and the list goes on. Recently though I think all the stress I've been under just really brought it out. I am so excited though to finally (hopefully) get this figured out completely.

I definitely plan on driving my doctor crazy with questions. He's amazing, he was actually my mom's rheumy throughout her battle with lupus. So I will definitely let you know! Thanks again!

windycity

Closed Thread