It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

LJen HB User
No rash

Is it possible to have a form of lupus where you don't develop any sort of skin problems or rashes? My sister has lupus and she has horrible blisters. I was just curious if a type without skin issues existed. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: No rash

Dear LJen, Dr. Wallace, in his lupus hardcover, states that 60% to 70% of lupus patients have some kind of skin problem at some time. So that means in 30% to 40% of lupus patients, skin problems don't occur.

In the same vein... In "classic" SLE, per the diagnostic criteria listed in the sticky post, you need to fulfill ANY 4 (or more) criteria at some time in your life to be Dx'ed with SLE. Thus in SLE, while a malar rash "counts", you don't HAVE TO fulfill the malar rash condition.

Some people get multiple kinds of lupus rashes & other skin problems. I had a very widespread, blistery, itchy rash at age 10 or so, that *maybe" was "bullous lupus", but I can't know for sure at this late date. Dr. Wallace writes that these rashes are complicated; and that biopsy results reveal which treatment is needed, depending on the "subset" identified.

Most libraries & bookstores have the Wallace lupus hardcover. Also, Dr. Robert Lahita is another good, comprehensive author to seek out. Hope this helps! Vee (a "rash veteran" )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi

I've had many different looking rashes over the years, but as VeeJ said, i've also read that not everyone gets rashes.

I am now wondering about that blistery, itchy rash VeeJ wrote about as possibly bullous lupus. If you don't mind me asking, where did you have that rash? I'm only asking because years ago, among other rashes, I also developed small rows of clear, fluid filled blister looking things on the sides of pointer and pinky fingers on both hands. It would also itch. It almost looked like burn blisters. They would come open and come right back again and went on for a few months, then just suddenly went away. I never saw a doc for it, though.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Baybreeze. My blistery rash, at age 10, covered all of my hands & my arms up past my elbows. Also had a little on my legs & trunk. My biggest blisters were the size of a quarter & raised up a 1/4 inch or more. They were fluid-filled, with an almost clear liquid. VERY itchy!

And very ugly... I started 4th grade in a new school, wearing long opera gloves with penny loafers, knee socks, and pleated skirts! Chic! No one (understandably) wanted to play with me or come anywhere near me. Luckily my family taught us to laugh!

I've had many episodes of much smaller, extremely itchy blisters, but limited to a small area of my hands, usually near base of ring fingers, usually in cold weather. My then-dermie thought my hands were "de-fatted" & treated me with light (can't remember if infrared or UV) & steroid ointments. Now I use only mild soap, make sure my rings are soap-free & that my hands are dry before putting my rings back on, keep my hands well-moisturized, and wear rubber gloves to do housework. Also, I avoid costume jewelry because I react horribly to the nickel content.

Maybe a mild OTC ointment with cortisone would help, if the affected area is small? If more than a small area is affected, I think I'd see a dermie. GOOD LUCK! Vee

Old 01-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Thanks, VeeJ....mine were localized to my fingers and much smaller. Actually after they opened & the fluid came out, my skin seemed raw, but then after a while of this happening, when it finally healed, I my skin dicolored to a brown color. But also, this happened some years ago and I bought everything over the counter I could think of & put it on, but nothing helped. It just went away on it's own one day. Now, since I've been on Plaquenial for 2 yrs, i've not had any of these weird rashes.....i've only gotten red, burning cheeks while sitting under the light at my desk. Unfortuately, when the blisters were occuring, I had so many other symptoms going on and no insurance so I never got them checked. Other thing I noticed (now looking back) was I used to work outside all day and that's when everything started.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Wow, it is so wierd hearing this. I have had that same rash for as long as I can remember. It comes and goes and is VERY itchy... When the clear bubbles burst mine are also very scaly. Mine always stayed on my palms, fingers and elbows. I learned NOT to itch it and it would go away eventually. Easier said than done since I would scratch it at night. My daughters also get the same rash. I have only showed it to one dr. because it comes and goes and he just prescribed some cream, which didnt help alot. I never connected it to the Lupus though since I have had this since I was a teenager. But it is EXACTLY what you are describing.

Erin

Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi to you all. The tiny little blisters confined to a small area on hands, my then-dermie called dermatitis. The HUGE, widespread blisters, my then-GP called ??? (he had NO idea). It was over almost 4 decades later that I became aware that the huge blisters had MAYBE POSSIBLY been a lupus rash. (For what little THAT'S worth...) Anway, my best to all, Vee

Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Whatever it is or the cause, my kids have it as well. It is a bit comforting to know it may not be lupus related though. Both my sister and I have SLE and I dont want to think that my kids may end up with it as well.

Closed Thread