It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

Kater011206 HB User
Unhappy sensitivity to heat - HEAVY SWEATING and nausea ...??

Hi All -
Does anyone or has anyone ever had a problem with SEVERE SWEATING, like a MAJOR OVERHEATING, to the point that you are soaking wet from doing simple things such as walking, standing, drying your hair, or JUST SITTING??? We have our temperature at 60 degrees in this house -the rest of my family is cold -but I'm HOT wearing a t-shirt??

My Lupus was dianosed in 2006 -but THESE things just started happening about 5 months ago .... it's altered my life so much that I can't do anything without looking as if I just got out of a pool .... "soaking wet" ...??

Doc says it's NOT the lupus, he also told me that my triglycerides are VERY HIGH and are at 1,000 mg .... he gave me this medication to take but I have not taken it yet - and he also said that he DOUBTS that it would be the triglycerides that is causeing this. We've also checked thyroid, sed, protein, and EVERYTHING ELSE you could figure ...

Does ANYONE have any advice as to what could be going on here??

I've also gained about 50 pounds from taking steroids in earlier months, and that weight although I've been OFF STEROIDS FOR MORE THAN 9 MONTHS -I am not able to DROP THIS WEIGHT .... I am 5'4" -about 170lbs

all other tests came back NORMAL of course, except that triglycerides .... but like I said, my doc said that THAT was not the cause of my heat problems??

Any answeres would be greatly appreciated ....

Thank you so much ....
Kater

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
(female)

NHCasey HB User
Re: sensitivity to heat - HEAVY SWEATING and nausea ...??

You just described menopause. Not sure of your age, but ?????

It's horrible to be soaking wet from standing still, trust me, I know, lol.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

redroses45 HB User

I had the sweating with my blood clots that were in my lung. Also, prednisone makes me sweat like that as well.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Kater. Others thoughts, in addition to menopause... Have you noticed any patterns, like time of day? Drinking/eating (like hot beverages)? After taking your meds? I heat up dramatically about an hr. after taking Plaquenil; this lasts only a minute or so.

As for menopause---I was so stunned to go thru this early that I didn't correlate my hot sweats to hormonal changes. (More fool me.) Ob/GYN did the FSH, etc. tests that forced me to believe it. It was during this brief phase that hot beverages, spices, etc. brought on sudden temp changes.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK figuring this out. Hang in there. Sympathetically, Vee

Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
(female)

Kater011206 HB User

Hey Guys ...
Thanks for all the replies ...

First off, I should have put this in the last post .... yes, everyone has told me that, that all of this sounds like menopause, so because my HUSBAND AND I are trying to get PREGNANT (I'm 32 years old) -I RAN to the OB's office and they ran the FSH and all these other tests -and he told me NO WAY are you going through menopause ....

So THAT helped me and my heart skipped a beat while we were checking all of this .... -but he said I was NO WHERE NEAR Menopause ....??

So that has me thinking that maybe it's pertained to my LUPUS, or pertained to my HIGH TRIGLYCERIDES (that were at 1,000 - should be 300)?? I don't know what else to look for??

Especially when hubby and I are still trying for our FIRST .... I was looking to get on CLOMID soon for that ....

I'm so confused. I really don't know what to do. I'm going back to the obgyn tomorrow because he said it could be a "hormone" or something like that that is just OVER what it should be, OR UNDER what it should be .....

I was just glad it wasn't menopause ... my mom went through menopause, actually she's PERI menopause, she STILL get's her period and isn't even THROUGH menopause yet and she's 56 years old.

But it was just one more thing ruled out -that I don't understand ....

If you can think of any other ideas, I'd be open to ANY OF THEM. That way I can take SOMETHING (ideas) to my OBGYN tomorrow ....

Thanks everyone ....
Kater

Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Kater. I'm really glad that the menopause idea was off-base!

I don't think high triglycerides are associated with such symptoms.

Did you have any "extra" tests that aren't part of the standard panels? Like thyroid function tests, for hypothyroidism? Those tests come to mind since you were on steroids (which can promote it) & given the problems you describe.

My sister had all normal test results, but her drs. had failed to test for thyroid function. When one dr. finally did, she was discovered to be hypothyroid & was immediately put on Synthroid.

This is just a thought (obviously I'm only a patient). Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

Old 02-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Jumping in to say me, too! In the last 7 years since my lupus DX, I've gained a lot of weight, too. At just 5'2", I got to 162lbs and that's when I noticed I got hot as a fire cracker for no reason at all. I've managed to slowly lose about 20lbs by drinking water instead of soft drinks - but still overheat easily. It's less often, but my dear MIL told me it might be my size. She's always been large, so she wasn't being mean.

Some days I carry a glass of ice water around with me and it's all I can do not to pour it over my head!

Good luck with getting pg! Clomid worked for me and my son is 27!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, again, Kater. My earlier post didn't come out at all right! I was trying to remember what my sister had told me about her earliest, "bare-bones" thyroid tests & why her previous drs. didn't react to the findings. For her TSH & T3 & T4, some results were normal & some weren't, so they decided NO PROBLEM. She didn't want any new problems (our Dad was really going downhill at the time), so she concluded NO PROBLEM. By the time she was retested, all values indicated a major problem, and her triglycerides had soared.

That said, since your dr. has done thyroid tests, do you know which ones? All the ones possible? Did you ask for copies for your personal files? It never hurts to keep a file with all your test results.

Another thought: Have you tried the search box above for other things that elevate triglycerides?

A last thought: are you on any meds that might cause these symptoms?

Thinking of you, Vee

Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Dear Kater, Good morning. Some buried memory has been struggling to rise to the surface since I saw your first post! My mother, sister & first cousin all had high triglycerides; all 3 eventually had gallbladder attacks with---I think, because it's been so many years---common bile duct obstruction.

I found a proper term this morning: HYPERTRIGLYCERIDEMIA. Also something called the FREDERICKSON CLASSIFICATION, which defines 5 groups, depending on the overall pattern of which of the following values are elevated and which are not: total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely ask my dr. to discuss further with me ALL possible causes. For example, when searching I found GROUPS of reasons: genetic, certain metabolic conditions, certain drugs, and "all other".

It was in the "all other" group that the common bile duct was mentioned, which made me (finally!) think of gallbladder. (My memory clearly isn't what it used to be. Ahem.) But it appears to me that gallbladder, if even possible, would be only ONE of some quite widely varied possibilities.

For what this may be worth... Anyway, I hope you can do some reading & then talk with your dr. again soon. Good luck! Sincerely, Vee

Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
(female)

Kater011206 HB User

Hey Gals ....
You are all so sweet -and have mentioned EVERYTHING that I had my INTERNIST doctor run from the bloodwork. All was fine, including thyroid -except the Triglycerides. Now, he said that the NORM for Triglyceride levels is like 300mg .... Mine was 1,000mg .... REALLY HIGH!! But the thyroid was ok, he even CHECKED FOR CORTISOL levels thinking it could be THAT ... but in checking the meds that I've been taking for at LEAST 7 years now with no problem, we can't find anything. SOOOOOOOooooo, he sent me to an OBGYN and I have THAT appointment TODAY IN 2 HOURS!!!!! He said that THEY might be able to pick out other "hormonal things" that he may not know about or see .... and that THAT is our only HOPE I guess ...?? I'm praying, that this NEW OBGYN will be able to say something like "Oh yeah, I know JUST WHAT THAT IS!!" ... yeah right huh?? I can dream ... haha.

But - I'm headed there in a little while -my appointment is at 2pm (New Patient) so it might take a while -and when I get home .... I will JUMP ON HERE FIRST to let you all know what she said ... I'm also hoping she'll later help me with Clomid again to try and get pregnant ... we just can't do it right now while I'm heated up like some lobster in a boiling pot ... need to take care of whatever THIS IS first. And I hope it doesn't take long because I AM NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER HERE!! lol ....

I'll let you all know, and I'm also going to tell my doctor to check EVERYTHING AGAIN. Oh, I almost forgot to answer one question, yes he DID check the tsh and all of that other stuff - he also checked Rheumatoid Factor (I don't know why, I already HAVE LUPUS??) so he really went through the mill ... he told me that he checked for something that I could not pronounce too, there were a FEW things that he said were ENDOCRINOLOGICAL things?? So he basically checked everything ... and I had to do a 24 hour urine, and THAT CAME BACK PERFECT HE SAID!!?? I WANTED to strangle him. Even though it's not his fault.... I guess I am frustrated because every day, all day long - I look like I just went swimming and jumped straight out of the pool. Wet hair, wet body, wet clothes .... and I'm 5'4" -and right NOW weigh 160 because of the steroids I had to take for the Lupus like 5 months ago ....

I have to tell you -I don't have any friends who have lupus, nor do I know anyone that has it -you all have made me feel so welcome, almost like I've known you all ... and that's something I've NEVER had. I never HAD anyone to talk to about all the crap I go through with this and other RELATED things with it. So thank you ALL for all you do and all of your research and comments. I'm so blessed to know people that are so friendly and helpful. God Bless you all.

I'll let you know how things went once I get home today ok? If I don't get home until like 4pm, I'm going to probably make my step-son and hubby dinner, but I'll jump on the second I sit down to let you know what they said ok??

Just say a prayer for me that THEY FIND SOMETHING!! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?? But when you've been living with something for so long and people keep saying "Oh no, you're fine" .... it gets old .... he he.

Thanks again for your help -I'll be back on once I get home. You are all GREAT and I WILL MENTION all that you've said, I've written it down and I'm taking it with me.

Love,
Katie (real name)

Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
(female)

jjcali HB User

I had bizarre sweat attacks, without overheating, just sweating from everywhere, a couple years before being diagnosed with lupus. The cause was never found and it sort of went away, but I do go get botox injections in my underarms - and insurance pays for it.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
(female)

c57s53 HB User

Hi Katie,
BOY do I know exactly what you are talking about. I started having the overheated body with sweats when I was about 40 years old. Every test was done on me and nothing showed up....I felt like a total hypochondriac and eventually I got so i didn't want to see another doctor. Gradually many different things started going on and without going into detail, my Neurologist ran a bunch of bloodwork on me and found that I was hypothyroid, I had fibromyalgia, my blood pressure was sky high (211/110), I developed pneumonia and asthma which I had never had in my life and finally I got Hepatitis and then the docotrs all knew something wasn't right when they finally tested me for Lupus and it was positive. However, by that time I thought I was going crazy and I was so weak and trembled all over. What a scary time. The sweats lasted for years and right now I am in remission, and guess what? No more sweats. In fact, I have been going through a period where I actually feel cold sometimes and it is very refreshing. I had my Rheumatologist tell me that "autoimmune" conditions can sometimes cause one to feel hot. When I take showers, I gradually turn off all the hot water before I get out so i finally in all cold water just to get my body temperature cooled down, and once I get hot or overheated, it takes hours to cool down. People who have never gone through it can't understand it. I feel for you and there isn't much you can do but swim in cold water or get in a cold shower every hour. Another doctor told me that when one is on synthroid that can cause you to be hot, but all this started several years before I ws diagnosed hypothyroid and placed on synthroid so maybe the "Autoimmune" factor is exactly what it is. Good luck to you and I hope you get some answers. Please keep us posted and I would surely be very interested in what they find.

Best wishes.
Connie

Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
(female)

sassybloomers65 HB User

Hello To All of You!

I have also had the sweats and the over heated body, I couldn't handle being in a heated room or anything. I was sent to a endocrynologist, She told me that I had Polycystic Overy Syndrome (PCOS).
It has put me into early Menopause. I'm not saying that any of you have this but it's something to check into.
I was just diagnosed with Lupus about 4 weeks ago and I am just trying to let it all soak in. I had a mother who was a nurse and she never let me see a doctor until I had my first child. CRAZY I know but it's true. Ive had symptoms since I was a child. Anyway I hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
(female)

watoozie HB User

I have had Lupus for about 2 2/1 yrs. I don't sweat like that all the time, but when I try to do anything in the sun for even a short period of time - I look like someone poured a bucket of water on my head. I have been sensitive to the sun for some time now. It is disqusting to look like a drowned rat when I go to Grandsons ball games or a festival or do anything outside. My hair is thin from the Lupus and when it gets wet you can imagine what I must look like. Hope you find your cause. Take care.

Closed Thread