It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
?... Who used antidepressants before Lupus?

I do not believe that I have Lupus, am waiting for another round of blood work. But know many who do. I myself have FMS/CFS. A healthy friend, just had another friend dxed with Lupus. We were talking and she brought this point up.
She was wondering how many Lupus sufferers have been treated with antidepressant before being diagnosed. Lengthy period of time or short term even...????.......
Thought this was an interesting insight.....

Old 03-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: ?... Who used antidepressants before Lupus?

I have never taken any anti-depressants before or after diagnosis in my lifetime. From what I understand though, depression (and I have read Agoraphobia) is a common symptom of lupus. I'm going to go out on a limb here.........if one can experience various physical symptoms of lupus before diagnosis i.e. joint pain, rashes, abnormal bloodwork, kidney problems, sun sensitivity etc.. it only makes sense that one could experience depression caused by lupus as well before being dxd, making the use of anti-depressants necessary before dx. That said, I would think that a much higher percentage of lupus or pre dx lupus patients would have used anti-depressants than the general public.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

c57s53 HB User
Re: ?... Who used antidepressants before Lupus?

I was placed on anti-depressants about a year and a half before diagnosis. I had so many things going on I don't know where t0 begin. I had terrible leg pain when walking, joint pain all over, dizzy spells from mild to so severe that I thought I would pass out, when i walked it felt like my feet were about a foot or more off the ground and my feet would hit the ground very hard because of my perception that I was so high up, I had trembling very bad throughout my body and I was so very weak I cried at the thought of trying to get to the bathroom. MY doctor didn't know what was wrong with me and he sent me to a Neurologist who did an MRI which was normal and an EEG which showed I had a seizure disorder....in the end he diagnosed me with depression. At that point in time I didn't care, I just wanted some kind of an answer. I got to the point though where I felt like I was going crazy and I actually called a Psychiatrist and spoke to her for 1/2 hour over the telephone explaining what was wrong and she finally told me that in her opinion I needed a second opinion from a medical doctor and that mental problems were not the cause of my symptoms....I was just that desperate. i wanted to just go to sleep and wake up when I felt normal again. I ended up with another Neurologist who immediately did bloodwork and found that I was Hypothyroid so I started on Synthroid. A few months later when that leveled off I was no better so they did EMG tests and found my nerve pain was from Neuropathy. Then he diagnosed me with FMS and did more more blood testing and I had a positive ANA so he sent me to a Rheumatologist. He did a complete evaluation and I explained everything to him and he said he didn't think I had Lupus and he continued to follow me as I started with 1 infection after another, bronchitis, pneumonia for 6 months, hepatitis, lost all the muscles in my legs, asthma....so many things that would just spread from 1 area of the body to another....it was very scarey.....and finally the diagnosis!
Since then I have had just slight flares, nothing quite as bad as that one, thank God. And to this day I am still on anti-depressants as with each flare I tend towards being down and emotional when i am sick. Also, anti-biotics make me depressed or kind of down in the dumps, but it all fades as I go off them. This is a crazy disease and virtually anything in our body can be affected. None of us knows what the next flare will bring, however I have noticed that I tend to get all the same things but each time they are a little worse than before. The mouth sores, nose sores and scalp sores, spasms, joint pain, and the overwhelming tiredness is always a problem.

Closed Thread