It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Unhappy Bottom Neck/Top Back Muscle Pain

I've been experiencing SEVERE pain the top of my back/bottom of my neck...almost my shoulders but not quite. It's the worst on my left side. It's like REALLY tight & doesn't relax at all & burns really bad! I've experienced this for years but NEVER to this degree. Would these be muscle knots/tension associated with my SLE or FMS? What can be done other than muscle relaxers b/c those aren't helping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
(female)

grafxmkr HB User
Re: Bottom Neck/Top Back Muscle Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by byHizgrc View Post
I've been experiencing SEVERE pain the top of my back/bottom of my neck...almost my shoulders but not quite. It's the worst on my left side. It's like REALLY tight & doesn't relax at all & burns really bad! I've experienced this for years but NEVER to this degree. Would these be muscle knots/tension associated with my SLE or FMS? What can be done other than muscle relaxers b/c those aren't helping?
I have the EXACT same thing. I have been eating ibruprophen like candy. It never completely goes away. I thought it was how I was sleeping or maybe sitting at work, but no matter what I change it is still there.

Did you ever find out what it was?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

ladylinda09 HB User

This is incredible. I have the same exact pain/tightness muscle pains and the only thing that seems to help is 800-1200 or more mgs of ibuprofen. Along with my pain is shortness of breath. I would really like to know what's going on. I went to the emergency room and they said it was muscle spasms and gave me Motrin. It is so frustrating because I never know when it's going to happen. It can get so bad that I just cry and that makes it hurt worse. lol
Gotta laugh to keep from crying.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
(female)

georgie04 HB User

I have had that kind of pain and burning and in my case it turned out to be thyroid related. Thyroid problems can often appear either before or after a diagnosis of another autoimmune condition. Anti-inflammatories helped a lot, but a correct diagnosis and a couple of little thyroid pills a day have completely resolved it. If you haven't ruled out thyroid already, that might be something well worth looking into.

best wishes
Georgie

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

I had the same thing but worst on the backs of each shoulder and across my upper back. What has helped my intermittant pain is an OTC cream that's for muscle aches and pains. I think I cannot mention the name of the cream but it's not the well known one that smells so strongly!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

I have this and was told by my doc's that it was fibro. Maybe you could do some reading on this just to get a better idea.

I know the difference betwen my lupus pain and fibro pain, so I am lucky in that way. If I am certain it is a lupus problem then I know I can increase my medications and rest more, etc. to cope with the flare.

If it is fibro, then I know I must do gentle stretching exercises and apply heat to the affected area. Also not using my pc helps enormously. Only my personal way of dealing with fibro.

Take care

goldenwings

Closed Thread