It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Question About Lupus Rash On Face

Hi all, I was hoping someone here could help me. I have on my face (all over) what looks like little red bumps, mostly on my cheeks but all over. They do not really look like pimples because they don't come to a head and ooze, they are just there. My son asked me today why my face is red and has all those pimples on it. (he is 4) anyway I never had acne either not even as a teenager so does this sound like a lupus rash? I do get the other rashes also all over my body that do itch and hurt and are painful all at the same time, some even scar. So about my face, anyone know or have any idea how to deal with it? I haven't used anything new and have been like this for months!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
(female)

c57s53 HB User
Re: Question About Lupus Rash On Face

Kdel,
My Lupus rash is a malar rash on my face. It is a red rash that is on the bridge of my nose and both cheeks and almost looks like a dark red circle just beneath the cheeks. I get the mouth, nose and ear sores and they look like tiny little pimples with a white head but they don't ooze as you mentioned but they are painful as can be for a tiny little thing that they are. Thank God they only last for a couple to a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there kdel,

Just to ask you if your rash is there permanently ? Or is it usually when the warmer weather starts ? Reason I ask is because it might be worth looking into PLE - polymorphic light eruption. Here is a brief description of it

It is a skin complaint caused by sunlight. Typically, those affected by it will have been exposed to the sun for two to three days while on holiday, although the complaint does occur between the spring and autumn months usually, and sometimes as little as 15 minutes' exposure to sunshine can induce the condition. It can even be brought on by sunlight penetrating through a window or thin clothing.

A delayed-onset, spotty, itchy eruption appears on the skin, and may take between 5 to 10 days to clear.

The rash usually consists of small red spots or blisters and can appear on any part of the body that has been exposed to sunshine. It tends to heal ithout scarring.

It is NOT the same as *****ly heat. *****ly heat occurs during warm weather and generally affects the trunk (ie, not the head, neck or limbs) and is related to overheating, particularly in areas where there is friction due to clothing.

This is only a brief description of it, and only one that I give in layman's terms, not in a medical capacity. If you are really worried though, I would go to see your doctor for a full examination. As you know, there are many skin rashes associated with Lupus and you have to be very careful and also vigilant in keeping on top of any symptoms whatsoever.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-09-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear kdel, I really think you need a good dermatologist. I recommend that you look for one specializing in MEDICAL problems, not cosmetic procedures.

If you want to do some browsing first, in addition to PMLE (as GW suggests), you could look up ACLE (acute cutaneous lupus erythematosus), rosacea, AND any other facial rashes you encounter when looking these things up.

FYI, your goal isn't to self-diagnose---we can't! It's only to help you get your questions, descriptions, etc. together before consulting a REAL DOCTOR. Which I think you SHOULD do, because you have reported facial rashes AND rashes elsewhere on your body.

Good luck & let us know how you are making out, OK? Best wishes, Vee

Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi all, thank you for the responses. I am seeing a doctor (a few actually) and am in the process of alot of tests, just waiting for results and another appt. Past bloodwork has lead the doctors to think Lupus, this new doc wanted to do her own more intense testing and I will find out those results next week. The problem with the rashes is first, they don't all look or act the same and in order to get a skin biopsy done I was wondering if the rash needs to be filled with fluid? Of course you can never get an appt. when the rash is at it's worst! Also don't really want the biopsy done on my face. Does the biopsy scar?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Question About Lupus Rash On Face

Hiya kdel,

Thing is, with lupus, there are so many differnt types of rashes that it is hard to put a definite name to any of them without seeing a doctor, which is of the utmost importance as Veej has already said.

I personally have a definite butterfly/malar rash on my upper face. ASthis is one of the more obvious rashes with lupus, I know what my own looks like and how it changes according to how I am doing physically with my SLE. I get different types of rashes on my body, but I personally don't always put them all down to my medical condition. It is difficult, but I have learned to tell one from the other. Mind you that is 30+ years of experience of having SLE and I know my own body very well. Anything though that is not familiar, I will go to see my doctor immediately. This is a must do for anyone with rashes of any type, but I feel more importantly for anyone with lupus.

Skin biopsies on the face in the main don't scar, only if you needed to have a very large area done, which is not usually - in my experience only - the norm with facial rashes. It is normally a scrape from the face.

The other thing I would suggest is that you take a photgraph of your rash at various times, i.e. when it is first visible, mid stage and most important of all, when it is at its worst. This way you have a definite record of how it is for when you visit the dermatologist - just in case it isn't there when you get an appointment.

Hope this helps.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-09-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, kdel. Rashes do NOT have to be fluid-filled to be biopsied. But timing may be important for some rashes, to have the best chance of definitive results. You'd have to ask your dr. for insight.

I had numerous deep-punch biopsies done on the rashes on my upper arms. The dr(s) numbed the area, "punched out" a core of skin, put in 4-5 stitches, had me come in to have stitches removed, then came up with results. (Or not...! It took me a long while to get answers, due to human interpretation, not to lack of clear findings.)

I have faint marks at these sites, on my arms, so I don't care. Honestly? I'd not be eager to have this done on my face; and I think drs. do facial biopsies for rashes only if everything else has failed to produce answers.

Let us know who you are faring, OK? GOOD LUCK! Vee

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello again,

"Skin biopsies on the face in the main don't scar, only if you needed to have a very large area done, which is not usually - in my experience only - the norm with facial rashes". What I mean by this is that it is normally a scrape from the face.

I have had biopsies done on my arms and legs and these did leave marks. Thing is though I personally feel that it might be because the skin is tougher in these areas so the doctor had to use a bit more force to get the biopsy done.

One thing I would say kdel, is that you mustn't forget that it is your right to refuse any type of medical procedure. If you feel that you don't want the biopsy done on your face, then don't have it done. It is normally the best way to determine what is going on with your rashes though, so take time to think about it and then decide when the time is right for you.

Take care

goldenwings

Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi again, It's not that I don't want the biopsy done, Actually I DO because I've been suffering with symptoms for a very long time (not just skin) and they keep saying Lupus or another auotoimmune disorder but no definite diagnosis yet and I read that the skin biopsy will tell for sure if it's Lupus sooooooooooo.....I guess just trying to find out more about the biopsy and when I should go for it. I don't really care about the scars elsewhere but I have enough on my face from the rashes! Also sounds like it would be pretty painful on the face and I also have enough of that. Thanks for listening and for your help too.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, kdel & GW. I've had facial biopsies of the type GW just described as a "scraping". Looked & felt like a brush burn afterwards. After a few years, the faint marks were entirely gone.

A deep punch biopsy, like the ones I had on the lesional skin on my upper arms, is a different depth. Think of a tiny apple corer (sorry! ), and you have a better sense of the process. The skin is numbed, so you don't feel it or the stitches until 1/2 hr. to 1 hr. later. But if you know you're prone to faintness or shakiness when blood is drawn, during nasty dental appts., etc., then maybe you'd want someone to be with you, just in case.

GW, it's really great to see you here!

Kdel, bye for now. Hope you can make progress quickly! Vee

Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Vee,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased to be getting back here more and more and enjoying it so much. I have banned myself from going into hospital again hee hee !!

How did your roast dinner and Yorkshire pud go ? I must admit I have never tried to make a Yorkshire pud. My mum made them as light as feathers, but I bet mine would sink a ship.

Hope you are doing ok.

goldenwings

Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

Yes!! I have the same thing and have had for a couple of months now. My face is red like I have a slight sunburn, my nose really red, and I have subtle bumps all over my face. I just don't LOOk right. It makes me feel so much better when someone else has the same thing as I .

Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
(female)

Staar80 HB User

how often does this facial rash come and go?

does it stay for months? weeks? could it go away after a couple of days?

what about this?............when i wake up, my face and chest look close to normal(but not quite), and them by evening i am beet red across my fave, and upper chest

Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
(female)

wendyk33 HB Userwendyk33 HB User

Hi there. My son is 5 and has C4 deficiency and is being tested every 6 months for Lupus because people with C4 deficiency have a 75% chance of developing Lupus and other autoimmune diseases.

Luke has a similuar rash on his face. Red cheeks with what looks like pimples. He has no red nose rash, just on the cheeks. He also has a psorisis like rash on his body. Do you think this facial rash could be related to Lupus? I am not asking for a diagnosis or anything, just an opinion. We go to his Rhuematoligist and immunoligist in a month but this rash has been there since January and is alittle concerning. It doesnt' hurt him or anything.

He also gets joint and leg pain, and I had to start him on iron because he gets anemia.

Thanks

Wendy

Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Jumping in late to say that my face gets red across my cheeks when I'm in the sun without a hat and SPF45 sunblock. If I am exposed to sunshine, I feel just awful for days. If I stay out of the midday sun, wear a hat with a brim, long sleeves, long slacks I feel lots better. Give it a try and see if it helps you feel better and if your rash goes away.

I had one punch biopsy done on my arm rash. The outcome was some ridiculous diagnosis and the dermatologist told me I would have the rash for the rest of my life. It turned out those lesions were due to my allergic reaction to Celebrex and once off Celebrex - no more rash! Go figure!

Wishing us all well!

Cheers! Barbara

Closed Thread