It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
parvo virus and autoimmune disease???

I'm new ,and just diagnosed so this may have already been covered in the past. My tests showed that sometime in my past I had the parvo virus. Now in doing some research I did read on one site that an inordinate amount of people with autoimmune disease also had either the parvo or herpes virus at some time. I just find it interesting, and it also makes sense to me . I'm wondering if because the virus is still lurking around in your cells in a dormant state, if maybe something triggers your body into thinking it needs to start fighting this virus again ,but since there is really no virus to fight it attacks itself. I know in my case I just went through a whole year of hell. I won't go into detail ,but to say I 've been stressed out would be putting it mildly. I know that stress itself can't CAUSE the lupus .But maybe it triggers it if you already have a predisposition to it. Just thinking out loud ,guys. I'm the type of person that likes to know the why's and hows.... thanks ,Kat

Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Talking Re: parvo virus and autoimmune disease???

Hi there kathryn and welcome

Just to say I have never had the parvo virus. I can understand the logic of your thinking though.

Though stress in itself hasn't been proven to "cause" lupus, it can exacerbate our feelings of unwellness when we are in a flare. Being stressed even if you do not have a chronic illness is not good for you. There can be so many triggers with lupus and stress is one of the ones that we need to work on if we can. Easier said than done I know only too well unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are a friendly bunch here and we can be here for you if you want to vent, ask questions or supply answers to others who are going through the same as you. We all need to learn and talk about lupus as much as we can. I have had SLE for over 30 years, and I still learn quite a lot more each time I do research.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-22-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: misspelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: parvo virus and autoimmune disease???

Thank you so much goldenwings.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

janmar123 HB User
Re: parvo virus and autoimmune disease???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn+2 View Post
Thank you so much goldenwings.
HI, Interesting I was dx with a parvo virus initially and then it has seemed to turn into connective tissue disease, it is all autoimmune related

Closed Thread