It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

bakka HB User
Lupus & hydroxchlor (plaquenil) ??

Hi:
This is all new to me in searching for HELP!

I am a 72 year old women. 10 years ago a doctor over dosed me with Imitrex (Sumatripan) the migrain drug thus as a result went into seizures, 5 strokes plus. I now have lupus, thyriod problems, osteoporsis and osteroarthritis Besides the pain in my hands swelling and deformation in my fingures I have constant pain just below my shoulder blades. It moves from one side to the other. At times my entire back pains. These pains are very severe. I also have a lot of pain in joints and knees.

I am on paxel 20mg- levothyroxin 150mg- prednesone 5mg and my Rheumy just put me on 200 mg of hydroxchlor.
I have been taking one pill of benadryl each night at bed time and it does help me sleep.

I have for years taken many suppliments ect. in hopes of relief with very little if any results. I am a health nut in vitamins and all!! Maybe to much??

Can anyone out there shed some light on the effects of this drug hydroxchlor generic for plaquenil as far as relieveing the pain or any other info in regards to it in your experiences with it.
When is best time to take it-how long before any results-side effects ect.

Any suggestions whatsoever would be deeply appreciate as my pain is to the point of nearly unbearable.
From all I have been through I still get around rather well in doing the house work ect. and my hubby helps so much with his support and all.

Thanks much - Look forward to hearing on this.

Hopeful-not hopeless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: Lupus & hydroxchlor (plaquenil) ??

I take 400 mg. of hydroxychloroquine each day, 200 in the morning, 200 in the evening. I have been taking it for over a year now. It took about six months for me to notice a difference in how I felt. It seems that this drug gives me more energy, and it does reduce some of the rashes I have had. I have had a nasty flare since being on the drug, and I didn't have horrible joint pain, so I think the drug prevented things from getting as bad as they could have. The only side effect I have noticed is really bad gas and, if I forget to take it with food I get a tummy ache. Best wishes, hope this drug helps you too

Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Bakka. I took 400 mg of hydroxychloroquine for 1-1/3 yrs., then reduced to 200 mg. It's helped tremendously, though I still need additional pain relief at times. It's the drug of choice for anyone with lupus that's *not* organ-threatening. It works by changing the pH balance in our cells, which somehow helps suppress production of damaging autoantibodies. So it takes awhile, as realisticchic just said, to reach full effect.

At the pt. I was Dx'ed, I had screaming pain & a lot of other problems. I was amazed at the almost immediate energy boost I felt. I had a bit of "halo effect" while driving at night, and a mild GI reaction. But since I'd battled vicious irritable bowel for 25+ years, this problem was extremely mild. My GI problems have abated; and no more migraines, anemia, tingling, urinary problems, stones, monstrous fatigue, etc. (I have some faigue, but not nearly as show-stopping.) So, DEFINITELY, this drug has helped me a lot.

I hope post again when you can. Wishing better days for you & soon! Sincerely, Vee

Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
(female)

Martie06 HB User

I have been taking hydroxycloriquine, 400 mg a day for almost 20 years. I haven't really had any problems with it. I guess the only problems that I have experienced is that when I started feeling really good I fooled myself into thinking that I was all better, and stopped all my medications. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!!!! Things hit hard and I realized that the hyrdroxycloriquine was doing a lot to help me.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

babyhuggs HB User

I agree - don't stop taking your medications! I stopped taking my plaquenil a few months ago because I didn't have any insurance! I'm now back on it! I was on it for about 13 years until this happened and how horrible it was NOT being on it! My face has broken into a rash and I have developed chronic hives. What an eye opener it is to know that some of these medications can be your only life line to feeling "normal!"

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

deljo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakka View Post
Hi:
This is all new to me in searching for HELP!

I am a 72 year old women. 10 years ago a doctor over dosed me with Imitrex (Sumatripan) the migrain drug thus as a result went into seizures, 5 strokes plus. I now have lupus, thyriod problems, osteoporsis and osteroarthritis Besides the pain in my hands swelling and deformation in my fingures I have constant pain just below my shoulder blades. It moves from one side to the other. At times my entire back pains. These pains are very severe. I also have a lot of pain in joints and knees.

I am on paxel 20mg- levothyroxin 150mg- prednesone 5mg and my Rheumy just put me on 200 mg of hydroxchlor.
I have been taking one pill of benadryl each night at bed time and it does help me sleep.

I have for years taken many suppliments ect. in hopes of relief with very little if any results. I am a health nut in vitamins and all!! Maybe to much??

Can anyone out there shed some light on the effects of this drug hydroxchlor generic for plaquenil as far as relieveing the pain or any other info in regards to it in your experiences with it.
When is best time to take it-how long before any results-side effects ect.

Any suggestions whatsoever would be deeply appreciate as my pain is to the point of nearly unbearable.
From all I have been through I still get around rather well in doing the house work ect. and my hubby helps so much with his support and all.

Thanks much - Look forward to hearing on this.

Hopeful-not hopeless

Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
(female)

deljo HB User

I also take hydroxychloroquinine 400 a day, 200 twice daily. I have taken this off and on for about 4 yrs. In Jan. at a 6 mo. opthomology test, the Dr. did a visual field test which I did not do to good at. There was a marked decrease in my vision since the last test 1 yr. ago. This medication can wreck havoc with your vision. Be sure to get it checked. I'm due for a re-check in June. If the visual field is still diminished I'll have to go off this drug. I'm also on methotrexate for lupus and other meds for diabetes and a heart condition. I am a 69yr. old F and have been diagnosed for about 8 yrs. I also am a migraine sufferer but can't take imitrex because of my heart condition. All I can take for pain is tylenol, no nsaids.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
(female)

jboissenet HB User

I have been on plaquanil for 1 year now and it has heped me tremendously. I would not take the generic form ...there can be up to a 20% difference between the two. This has been a miracle drug for me and now I'm facing more blood work and an eye exam..I do not want to go off this as I was giving up and feeling helpless...plaquanil has given my life back...
Good luck, Hugs to you!

Closed Thread