It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Lupus & the liver

I am currently having a problem with my liver. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. My ALT & AST have been mildly elevated for some time. Enough for them to do a Hep test and rule out hepatitis. It was negative and since it wasn't too high we went along. Then about a month ago it sky rocketed. I also had shingles at the time so they took me off the methotrexate and have been testing me every two weeks to keep tabs on it. It continues to be slightly elevated. The main thing is it hurts. On my upper right quadrant of my abodomen...it isnt like the pleurisy pain...breathing doesnt matter. It is always there...it just gets more intense sometimes. He also noted my palms are staying red. My neuro problems are back. He said my eyes are shaking when I move them. All in all I seem to be falling apart! I am scheduled for a sonogram tomorrow and depending on what that shows he said they need to "hand me off" to a gastro doctor for a liver biopsy. He said he is thinking it might be autoimmune hepatitis. Should all of this concern me?

I have been pretty chronically active since the lupus started showing clinical signs. This is just the first time I have had truly organ threatening problems. Up till now it has just effected my lungs, the lining of my heart, skin and you know the normal stuff. My kidneys are pretty mild with just having constant red blood cells. They just keep a close watch on them.

I have been having to go to my rheumie every two weeks for the last 4 months. This seems pretty excessive to me. But he said my blood work is concerning and they are watching it carefully.

Whatever is going on, I just wish they would get me in remission..if only for a little while. I just needed to vent. I have actually been in too bad of shape mentally to post anything. You know how it is when it gets bad. It gets really hard to say anything to anyone. I mean at that point you are on Whine OVERLOAD!!

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: Lupus & the liver

(((((((((((((((Erin))))))))))))
I am familiar with the pain you describe in the liver, elevated ast and alt. I have really bad problems whenever the alt/ast are elevated with nausea and fatigue, has this been an issue for you too? I have also had elevated billirubin and billirubin in my urine along with the red blood cells. The alt/ast has usuallly been associated with medications I had been taking, biaxin for one. The fact that the levels have dropped since you stopped the Metho is a good sign I think. I know it is painful for you to sit up straight for very long because the pain your liver causes will intensify, try to sit sort of leaning back, supported by a pillow or two. I had a job at the time requiring me to sit up and lean slightly forward for hours on end and the pain was awful. Don't worry about venting, that is one of the reasons this board is here for! All the best

Closed Thread