It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Question Any thoughts?

After suffering from a lot of joint pain and migraines for over a year and a half (among lots of other things), I saw a differant dr who orded a lot of blood work. When I got home and looked up these tests, I am pretty sure he is looking for Lupus. I had no idea that there were differant kinds of lupus. It's been over two weeks and I still haven't heard from this dr. I did look through the "sticky" posts and I have a lot of the signs and symptoms--but what I'm wondering about is my mouth--I get a lot of tingling on my tongue and lips. Has anyone had this before? It's rather annoying, but not nearly as bad as some of the other problems. I have also had a lot of plurecy(sp?) lately. It gets painful, but at least it doesn't last for more than a few hours at a time. I did at one point have a very severe allergic reaction to a med I was put on and it looks like this in itself can cause a form of lupus. I seem to become allergic to just about everything I'm put on. Right now I live on naproxen and was taking nexium for stomach pain--which was working, but now I am allergic to the nexium. Isn't there a good, strong anti-inflamatory that works without hurting the stomach?

Sorry for the long thread, and thanks for any help and advice!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Any thoughts?

Hi, BlueSteam. On pain relief: in your shoes I'd work with the dr. who's testing you, to be on the safe side, given that you're already taking meds (Naproxen & Nexium) & that you're still looking for answers.

That said, personally I take Plaquenil (which has some anti-inflammatory effect) & an OTC (ibuprofen). And I still hurt some many days---but the pain is not nearly as severe as it was before I was diagnosed.

About there being various kinds of lupus: I was shocked, too, at how many major groups there are: SLE, SCLE, DLE, DILE & neo-natal. Then there are many variants within those major groups. And "close cousins", too.

About turnaround time for tests: My last round took a month to come back, but due to the skin biopsy, I think.

Oops, almost forgot. My mouth tingles sometimes, too. Red wine is the #1 thing that does it, not that I consume much of that. It's not pain, either, just tingling. And I keep up on dental checkups, so it's not that either...

I hope you keep posting here. Meanwhile, good luck! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Re: Any thoughts?

Thank you for your thoughts! My primary dr has prescribed me soooo many differant meds, mostly pain killers, and also valium as a muscle relaxer. I only take that one about once a week for fear of addiction. I hate the painkillers--they don't help anyway. The one miracle pill that was given to me was for my awful headaches and migraines. It was topamax, and while the s/e's were rather unpleasant, it was a God-send. I had been mostly free from a lot of nerve pain and headaches for a long time. (I felt pretty good last monday and mowed some lawn--now I'm suffering again with headaches) When I do have a rare good day, I tend to over-do it.

I called the dr again today and he has my report written up--I just have to fax a request and they will mail me my results. Wouldn't you know, my fax is acting up, but I have a feeling I'll know something soon.

I spent a lot of time reading a lot of the threads here, and really I am shocked that my primary hasn't looked into lupus. My skin has been purplish, blotchy for so long, and I get funky little sores on my arms. I fear people will think I'm a junky, so I keep legs and arms covered. When my sores, which I had always called "itch bumps" heal, they stay purplish or brown. Does anyone know what I can use to get rid of these scars? Take Care

Closed Thread