It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Question Tiny Red/Blood Spots...Petechia?

I've noticed tiny red/blood spots on me occassionally for year & never thought much of it. I think it's called petechia but unsure. I noticed a few more in the last few months & still thinking nothing of it. However, just tonight I was doing some foot care & noticed I had several on my legs that, to my recollection, had not been there a week ago.

Do you know if this is seen in lupus?

If so, why?

Does it mean something more serious is going on?

Is there certain tests my rheumy and/or PCP should run?

I mostly ask all this b/c of how bad I've been feeling. More than anything I've been EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED!! My lymph nodes have been swollen & tender too. My rheumy did some labs a few weeks back, and I was told today that they were OK. I'm not sure she ran the test that would've indicated problems associated w/ this, and I know she didn't do a SedRate. Also, I've had an abdominal ultrasound (results pending) & have a kidney CT tomorrow morning. Both b/c of abdominal pain I've been having.

I really hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Denise

Old 05-10-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Tiny Red/Blood Spots...Petechia?

Hi, Denise. Petechaie are common in lupus. So is purpura (the much larger purplish marks). I think both are due to abnormal blood coagulation under the skin. I think the purpura are the ones rheumies may worry about, and only if they feel a certain way to the touch, which may suggest vasculitis.

My ankles are badly mottled, with red blotches due to capillary damage. On my first visit to him, my rheumie called it *cutaneous vasculitis*. If the skin doesn't ulcerate or break down, it's not considered dangerous. In contrast, vasculitis of the internal organs is a serious condition, and ditto with skin breakdown.

Where are your dots? Does your skin surface look normal, other than color?

I think your best bet is to run this all by your rheumie, as (obviously) I'm just a patient. You'll be seeing her soon anyway, to get test results, right? And speaking of tests, good luck on yours. Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
(female)

mom1999 HB User
Re: Tiny Red/Blood Spots...Petechia?

Hello. I don't have lupus, but I do have MS. I have lots of tiny red dots (petechia) all over my body. It sees like I get a new one every day. I asked my dermatologist about it, and she told me they happen for several reasons: exercise, stress, age, etc.

If they are tiny, they're probably just petechia. But if they're large, like VeeJ is describing, I would tell your rheum. And of course, I don't know much about lupus (sorry for invading), so I would listen to VeeJ's advice anyway. If its something new, its something to talk to your dr. about.

Closed Thread