It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
(female)

marys1358 HB User
Question Dry Eyes

Hi Everyone,

Quick question is anyone having problems with dry eyes?Because in the past couple of months they itch like crazy.Is this part of Lupus also or could it be Sjorgen's(sp)?I don't have allergies that I know of.What could it be?

Thanks Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Dry Eyes

Hi -

When I was healthy (as far as I knew!) and in my late 20s, my eyes got dry and I could no longer wear my contact lenses. My eye doctor just suggested I use artificial tears like Refresh. Those eye drops really make my eyes feel better instantly.

I wasn't diagnosed with lupus until about 18 years later.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

My eyes feel dry & itchy for several weeks now. However, for myself, I think I've now developed allergies maybe to pollen ( i never had this before, though). Along with the eyes, I've had constant sneezing, itchy nose, coughing, runny nose, stuffy nose, and headaches. ALl of this started when the pollen started coming out. I havent seen a doc for it, though..I have a few other issues going on that I need to keep going to docs for, so I'm going to wait a few more weeks & see if it goes away.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

marys1358 HB User

Thanks for responding.I really don't have any other symptoms other then dry itchy eyes where I just want to scratch them out.I mean I'm Dx's with other things but this is the news thing.If its not 1 thing its another.LOL

Thanks again,Mary

Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marys1358 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Quick question is anyone having problems with dry eyes?Because in the past couple of months they itch like crazy.Is this part of Lupus also or could it be Sjorgen's(sp)?I don't have allergies that I know of.What could it be?

Thanks Mary
Lupus can attack the tear glands, so it could be due to lupus. It could also be Sjögren's. About half the people with Sjögren's have another connective tissue disease as well, such as lupus or RA.

You can see an eye doctor and have him administer a Schirmer's test, which is quite simple. Maybe other types of doctors also do it, I don't know. The doctor just places a strip of special paper under the eyelid, you close your eyes and and wait for a few minutes. Also, you could see a rheumatologist and have a blood test to see if you are positive for anti SSA and SSB.

If you have dry eyes, there are artificial tears, ointments and other things that you can use. It may take a while for you to find the type that is best for you.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

c57s53 HB User

Hi Mary....I have SLE and also dry eyes. My eyes get like "needle stick" pains from the dry eyes, or at least I think those pains are from dry eyes. My Rheumatologist checks periodically for Sjogrens but so far I am negative.

Connie

Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
(female)

KileyGirl HB User

Hi Mary-
I don't have Sjogren's but my eyes get terribly dry because of lupus. I also have allergies but that doesn't seem to coincide with the dry-eye thing. Hard to figure out, right?
Rx. Restasis has saved me, though I still can no longer wear contacts. My eye Dr. also recommended punctal plugs (which block your tear ducts to preserve natural wetness to the eyes) but I haven't done that yet.
Also, sounds goofy, but gently washing closed eyelids with baby shampoo helps a lot of people by ridding clogged glands of debris. Search: Blepharitis

Maybe just the OTC drops will do the trick.

Good luck, Kiley

Last edited by KileyGirl; 05-30-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

watoozie HB User

I have Lupus, but also have Sjogrens. Right now I have a torn cornea in my left eye from being so dry and at night if I try to open my eyes without first putting drops in it rips the cornea. The doc put a contact lens on my left eye to work as a band-aid. My right eye isn't quite as bad, but have to use drops all the time in both. My eyes don't itch, just dry and sandy feeling. I am using Restasis right now to see if it helps any.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
(female)

Kathryn HB User

I do not have srojens, but, I have dry eyes due to the ditropan xl and the Imipram I take for incontinence.

The Refresh works for me and keeps my eyes moist. I Do it all day and before bed. I know I woke up one day and didn't realize till later that my dry eyes were gone. Sometimes these things come and go. You just don't know when. Good Luck.

Kathryn
among the STARS!!!

Closed Thread