It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User
weird pain in arms

has anyone ever had a problem with their muscles feeling "hard". the muscles in my forearms have been very stiff and feel hard to touch. i havent been doing any strenuous activities or anything. its just something weird that i was wondering if it was normal

Old 05-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: weird pain in arms

Hi,

I've had feelings of various muscles feeling hard (and achy) but for myself, found out it was due to muscle spasms. I had alot of spine issues going on and had to walk bent forward, which in turn caused most of my muscles to start spasming due to the bad posture. You wouldn't think walking like this would affect my upper body but it did. My spasms spread into my head, face, neck, shoulders, arms, and even my hands. After I had surgery, most of it stopped, thank goodness! So it's possible it could be spasms (even if you think have havent overused your arms)...if its spasms, it could be stemming from elsewhere, like your neck area.

Of course there could be other reasons for the muscle hardness, but I can only offer you insight into what i've experienced. Is that the only symptom you have? Do you have any neck pain or stiffness at all? Or any other possible symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

Heather_Brennan HB User

That would make alot of sense. I am very "top heavy" and I have been trying for two years now to get my insurance to approve a breast reduction procedure. I have been to the chiropractor and physical therapy but none of that has worked. The curve in my neck is backwards from what it should normally be and i get alot of upper back, neck and shoulder pain. so that would make sense. i wasnt sure if it was another weird symptom of lupus or not. thanks.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yeah, it's something to think about....you might want to have your upper back/neck checked into a little further. It could be from the chest weight, or you might have something else going on in your upper spine. Maybe try a spine orthopaedist or neuro for a consultation. See if they find anything or think it could be due to your breasts; if you have insurance, if the breasts are causing spine issues, they may pay for a reduction.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Heather,

I agree with what baybreeze has said. I would like to add too that it could be because of lack of exercise. I know it is difficult to do this when we are in pain, but gentle stretching exercises do help enormously.

No heavy workout type of thing, but just gentle stretching of the affected areas. For instance, if the muscles in your forearm feel this way, hold your wrist and pull gently down - only 5 times each side. This will maybe hurt a little to start but with time, the stretching will "soften" up the forearm and reduce the hardness and stiffness felt there. Do it as often as you feel comfortable with throughout the day.

Just an idea for you to try. It can't do any harm and I have devised quite a few of these gentle stretching exercises which I have passed on to various members of the forum. Not in a medical way of course, just something I helped others with patient to patient.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-27-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: misspelling

Closed Thread