It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Prednisone, plaquenil and constipation????

Hi there,

Just curious if anyone else has had severe constipation from these drugs?? I had rectal surgery 4 months ago and am still recovering and finding it difficult with the constipation from these meds. I am on Prednisone 10 mgs, plaquenil 400mgs a day, folgard (b12, b6 folic acid) ca supplement, diclofenac 75 mgs bid. I have added a stool softener and also take benefiber 3 tsp daily. My drug fact sheets list constipation as poss side effect, but it also lists everything else, so I just wanted to know of any first hand experience. This all started after I was mainly put on the prednisone. I am thinking that may be the big culprit
Thanks
Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

Bamboo HB User
Re: Prednisone, plaquenil and constipation????

I've been on prednisone since the beginning of March. I started at 40 mg. and am now tapered down to 9 mg daily. I was started on Plaquenil (generic) about 2 weeks after that. I've had constipation and related side effects since then. I take 2 chewable tablets of FiberChoice (sugar free) at each meal and make sure to take in enough fluids every day; this works fairly well for me. I expect the constipation to be relieved when I'm off prednisone.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

realisticchic HB User

I haven't experienced any problems with constipation while on prednisone and plaquenil. I had a lot of bowel trouble before I was DXD though, which may be why I am not having problems now, could be that the drugs just evened me out so to speak .

Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Thank you both for the replies, I just have to be so careful with my bowels since my surgery, and wanted to narrow down the possible root cause. Thank you so much.
Kelley

Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Kelley,

No experience with prednisone yet, but have had the opposite problem which I blamed on Plaquenil and quit taking it. I've since wondered about IBS and lactose intolerance, have quit drinking milk or even 2% and am bummed to the max about my "bathroom days". BOTHER!!!!!

I've found the excellent resource person for medicine interactions and side effects is the pharmacist who filled my Rx! I've called my pharmacist more than once, and probably more than ten times. I recommend you give him or her a call!

Hugs - Barbara

Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
(male)

hp8 HB User

Well i take decongestants which dries you out so that could cause constipation but only after taking only 5mg prednisone for 2 days now, got constipation problem. Same thing happened when I told prednisone previously so it could be the culprit. I'll narrow the cause by cutting the prednisone tonight see what happens.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I have taken both, still on plaquenil for over 2 1/2 years and never had any bowel problems from either. Actually the pred seemed to make things better for me. I do know surgery will constipate you (though it shouldnt 4 months out)..I couldnt go at all for almost 9 days after my spine surgery. Also the painkillers you get are notorious for causing constipation. Are you taking any sort of painkillers now?

Closed Thread