It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

confused friend HB User
Lupus and Psychosis

I need some honest opinions and some reliable information.

I have a dear friend who was diagnosed about 4 years ago. She is 33 a teacher and a wonderful, wonderful person. Well, without going into great detail....she has made some major, major mistakes. It is sooooooooo totally out of character for her....I have to believe that there is something terribly wrong with her thinking.

Have any of you had any experience with this or could you refer to me to someone who specializes?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Lupus and Psychosis

Hi -

So sorry your dear friend is having diffuculty and you're a good friend to try to help!

There is an excellent resource book by Dr. Daniel Wallace called The Lupus Book. Chapter 15 is about the cognative and behavioral changes and problems that may occur with systemic lupus. If you know your friend's doctor's name, perhaps the situation warrents a call to the office nurse to express your concerns? Perhaps if your friend just reads the chapter in the book, he or she would understand that the doctor needs to know.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you and your friend well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

buford1975 HB User

What kind of mistakes are you seeing, if you don't mind sharing? My fiancee has been doing some things that are driving me nuts, such as shooting down my ideas/thoughts/feelings, mothering me, putting others down for what they do but doing some of the same things herself, just to name a few. Are these things lupus-related, or are they just personal problems? I am beside myself, and I don't know what to do. She is very sensitive, so it is hard to come to her with anything. Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I did some research on lupus Psychosis and pasted it below..I hope this sheds some light on it. Only you know the people you are dealing with and if this is bizarre behavior for them. Some people are just screwed up without it having to do with lupus or any other disease...The steroids can mess with you but the only time I actually felt the effects was when I was on high dose pulse therapy by IV. Then it was more I would lash out more easily and was VERY irritable. I was also on an emotional rollercoaster. Usually psychosis is defined by an inability to judge reality or a break from reality...paranoid thinking ...that type of thing...

Erin
Dallas TX
________________________________________ _______________________

Some lupus patients may demonstrate symptoms of psychosis.
Psychosis is defined as an inability to judge reality, marked by disordered thinking & bizarre ideas, often including delusions & hallucinations.
It usually results in an inability to carry out the ordinary demands of living.

About 10-15% of lupus patients will display acute psychosis during the course of their disease.

Most psychotic episodes occur with CNS vasculitis, but others occur as a result of steroid therapy, water intoxication with low blood levels of sodium, seizures, central hyperventilation, or antimalarial therapy.

It is managed with corticosteroids, & antipsychotic preparations.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

realisticchic HB User

If you mean major mistakes, as in, forgetting things/names/dates, getting lost on the way to familiar places, going to the right place at the wrong time, difficulty with numbers and memory in general, increased anxiety, depression, or agoraphobia, could definitely be a Lupus thing. Many of the meds used to treat Lupus can have a bad effect on personality, for example prednisone can cause irritability and mood swings. At any rate, I wish you and your friend all the best in getting to the bottom of the situation.

Closed Thread