It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Question Fatigue Medication

Anyone ever heard of a medication for fatigue? Someone mentioned a prescription to me a while back but cannot remember it. I do remember she said the docs rarely prescribe this & only temporarily. Do you know of this med or any others? I am at the end of my rope & DESPERATE to feel better!!

Thanks to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: Fatigue Medication

I take provigil...it works well. It wont help on the really bad days though..nothing will. But on the mild to moderate days it will and it really helps with the brain fog which I get pretty bad. I work in commercial insurance and it really requires a clear mind. Alot of math and all, so it
helped alot. It doesnt give you the shakes or anything like that. It comes in 100 & 200 mg. I break get the 200 and break them in half.

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStevens64;303***8
I take provigil...it works well. It wont help on the really bad days though..nothing will. But on the mild to moderate days it will and it really helps with the brain fog which I get pretty bad. I work in commercial insurance and it really requires a clear mind. Alot of math and all, so it
helped alot. It doesnt give you the shakes or anything like that. It comes in 100 & 200 mg. I break get the 200 and break them in half.

Erin
Dallas TX
That's the one I've heard of. I will mention it to her. Do you know how long your doc will let you stay on it?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I have been on it for 2 years now. It is FDA approved for chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't have that but the people at provigil supplied my insurance company with clinical trial info showing how it is used for fatigue and brain fog for many autoimmune diseases.

Erin
Dallas TX

Old 06-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yes, Provigil it is. I have tried it myself. It's approved for sleep disorders (like night shift workers, narcoleptics, etc..) but it's been studied for the fatigue of MS and other things. My rheumy gave me samples to try a year or so ago....I personally had to stop taking it because it made me sooo wired and my heart was racing, I couldnt sleep at all (even though I took the pill at 6am upon waking). I still could not sleep at night, tossing & turning, etc...I didn't like the weird buzzy feeling from it nor my heart pounding so I stopped taking it. And when I dont get sleep I feel even worse. But I've heard other people say it greatly helped them with fatigue, so it's worth a shot.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze View Post
Yes, Provigil it is. I have tried it myself. It's approved for sleep disorders (like night shift workers, narcoleptics, etc..) but it's been studied for the fatigue of MS and other things. My rheumy gave me samples to try a year or so ago....I personally had to stop taking it because it made me sooo wired and my heart was racing, I couldnt sleep at all (even though I took the pill at 6am upon waking). I still could not sleep at night, tossing & turning, etc...I didn't like the weird buzzy feeling from it nor my heart pounding so I stopped taking it. And when I dont get sleep I feel even worse. But I've heard other people say it greatly helped them with fatigue, so it's worth a shot.
Is able to be broken in 1/2?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

yes, it is easy to break in half. You can start on the 100mg and break that in half too if you would rather. It doesn't wire me at all, it just clears my fog if you know what I mean. It is also used for ADHD. Like I said though on those bad days where you cant get out of bed, it won't help. On those days I dont even bother with it. But on the mild and moderate days it does help. I get the fatigue and brain fog pretty bad and it is what gets me through. I take ambien CR at night to sleep. But I was taking that long before I started taking the provigil. I have always had sleep problems and like the other poster, when I dont sleep it it 10X worse.

Erin
Dallas TX

Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

ALSO, do any of you know if insurance will cover it...specifically Medicaid?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStevens64 View Post
yes, it is easy to break in half. You can start on the 100mg and break that in half too if you would rather. It doesn't wire me at all, it just clears my fog if you know what I mean. It is also used for ADHD. Like I said though on those bad days where you cant get out of bed, it won't help. On those days I dont even bother with it. But on the mild and moderate days it does help. I get the fatigue and brain fog pretty bad and it is what gets me through. I take ambien CR at night to sleep. But I was taking that long before I started taking the provigil. I have always had sleep problems and like the other poster, when I dont sleep it it 10X worse.

Erin
Dallas TX
Sounds just like me, but my docs have never given me sleep aids no matter how much I complained about insomnia. I see my PCP next week & will make this a priority. THANKS!!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

My insurance wouldnt have covered it because it was not approved for the reason I was given it; but you should call your insurance or check your drug list from them to make sure. I also was given another off label script where the drug was only approved for one thing; insurance paid some of it, but I still had a $75.00 co-pay. Or just ask your doctor for samples..this way you paid nothing if it doesnt work for you. That's how I tried mine.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

my insurance covered it but it took a while. If you go to the provigil website they will actually work with your doctor and submit the required clinical trials to your insurance company and help you get it approved. That is what I had to do. Since then my doctor just has to submit my medical records each year to my insurance company and they recertify the coverage.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStevens64 View Post
my insurance covered it but it took a while. If you go to the provigil website they will actually work with your doctor and submit the required clinical trials to your insurance company and help you get it approved. That is what I had to do. Since then my doctor just has to submit my medical records each year to my insurance company and they recertify the coverage.
I'll look into that. Thanks!

Closed Thread