It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

muffin9190 HB User
Is it ok to have a child?

My boyfriend has systemic lupus hes 45. He does have children from a previous relationship. We are thinking of having a child ourselves. It may be nothing but I am just a little concerned about me having a child for him when I am sickle trait. I do not have sickle cell anaemia it just means that I am a carrier and that if I had a child for another trait then their is a chance we could produce a child with full sickle cell anaemia.

So I am wondering if that fact that I am trait and he has Lupus, would have any affect on our child?

Does anyone have any answers?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: Is it ok to have a child?

Lupus does have a genetic link but it isn't like sickle cell where the gene determines if you have the disease or not. You just have a increased risk of having it. It takes a trigger to set it off usually. My sister and I have it and we have different mothers so we know it came from my fathers side yet he doesn't have it nor do we know of another immediate relative that does.

An example would be breast cancer. If you mother has it you have an increased risk...yes. But it is not a forgone conclusion you will have it.

I hope this helps a bit.

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Is it ok to have a child?

Hi there,

I know this is hard for you at the moment, but the only person to answer such a question is definitely a doctor. Make an appointment with your general doctor and ask to be referred to a rheumagologist for the lupus part of the question. Then ask for a referral to a hematologist for your sickle trait part of it.

I know it is a lot to go through, but armed with the correct information, you can then go ahead and make the plans you want to in regard to having a family.

Best of luck and good wishes.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 06-17-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Closed Thread