It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User
Test results + Symptoms = possible Lupus?

Hello everyone! I am new to this board. I recently had bloodwork done and I tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody. I know this means I have "sticky blood" but I also have other symptoms that would lead me to believe that I may have Lupus.

My symptoms are as follows:

*Weight loss (had my son in August and I weigh 40 lbs. less than BEFORE I got pregnant...I have not weighed this less in almost 6 years!)
*Hair loss (again I thought it was because of the pregnancy....but it is getting bad!)
*Extremely stiff joints on my left side in the morning
*Swelling of my left side in the morning
*Abdominal pain (constant pain to the touch on both sides since my son was 6 weeks old...no one can find the cause of it)
*Chest discomfort (feels like pressure on my chest)
*Numbness on left side
*Dizziness
*Overall fatigued....my body is just so sore and tired at times

Tests I have had:

*MRI brain (w/o contrast) Left sinus cavity found to be larger...going back for MCV and MRI w contrast
*CT chest (w and w/o contrast) NORMAL
*CT abdomen (w and w/o contrast) NORMAL
*Stress test (w/o thallium) NORMAL
*Echocardiogram NORMAL
*Abdominal ultrasound NORMAL
*Holter monitor NORMAL
*Numerous bloodwork was normal until my PT and APPT was high and INR low,sodium and chloride also low

For those of you who have Lupus what do you think? What dr. should I go to for more testing? I have a neurologist and a cardiologist, could either one of them do the other necessary bloodwork that would be needed? I just "fired" my PCP after I got my results from my neurologist (she had the nerve to call and tell me she got the report from my neuro and that my MRI and bloodwork was normal) so I have to get a new one of those....LOL! Sorry for the long post but when I was researching the Lupus Anticoagulant all these things popped up with what I have been experiencing for the past 10 months since my son was born! I feel like a new person in a way.....like I found the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks in advance

Shell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Test results + Symptoms = possible Lupus?

Dear Shell, Welcome! For suspected lupus invlovling more than skin-only, a rheumatologist is usually the best bet.

What type of dr. found the lupus anticoagulant antibody? Are you taking any medication for it? Going in for regular check-ups and testing? (Just curious.)

What a dr. should look for: see the first & third "sticky posts" ( = permanent posts) at the top of the thread list. The third lists the ACR criteria for classifying & diagnosing systemic lupus (SLE). To support a Dx of SLE, a person must meet "4" or more criteria, at some time during her lifetime, not necessarily all at once.

ASIDE: There are also lesser & variant forms of lupus, called "subsets", for which a person does NOT have to meet "4" criteria. Several examples are SCLE (subacute cutaneous LE) & DLE (discoid LE).

The criteria mentioning specific autoantibodies is confusing. There are actually *many* autoantibodies possible in lupus; but only *two*, anti-DNA and anti-Sm, make the list. This is because only these two are considered totally "specific" to lupus. In contrast, the others appear in mulitple diseases. e.g., anti-Ro is seen in both lupus & in Sjogren's.

The first "sticky" has several posts. One contains a resource which provides detailed info on lab tests.

Because you're positive for lupus anticoagulant, I think it makes sense that you are checked out for lupus. I hope you keeping posting here. So, bye for now. Best wishes, sincerely, Vee

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
Taewood5 (10-26-2011)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
(male)

artright HB User
Re: Test results + Symptoms = possible Lupus?

I have all the symtoms you have and more and have been told I have MS (RelapsingRemitting) Check it out with your nero as the MRI might show up some small spots i.e. liasions. Not sure if I'm spelling it right. Then again I might have Lupus. Doctors are in it for a crap shoot. It took me over 10 years of pain and suffering before I had enough money to go to the Mayo Clinic and paid $16,000 and in three days I was told I had MS. Do somemore research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA1022 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to this board. I recently had bloodwork done and I tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody. I know this means I have "sticky blood" but I also have other symptoms that would lead me to believe that I may have Lupus.

My symptoms are as follows:

*Weight loss (had my son in August and I weigh 40 lbs. less than BEFORE I got pregnant...I have not weighed this less in almost 6 years!)
*Hair loss (again I thought it was because of the pregnancy....but it is getting bad!)
*Extremely stiff joints on my left side in the morning
*Swelling of my left side in the morning
*Abdominal pain (constant pain to the touch on both sides since my son was 6 weeks old...no one can find the cause of it)
*Chest discomfort (feels like pressure on my chest)
*Numbness on left side
*Dizziness
*Overall fatigued....my body is just so sore and tired at times

Tests I have had:

*MRI brain (w/o contrast) Left sinus cavity found to be larger...going back for MCV and MRI w contrast
*CT chest (w and w/o contrast) NORMAL
*CT abdomen (w and w/o contrast) NORMAL
*Stress test (w/o thallium) NORMAL
*Echocardiogram NORMAL
*Abdominal ultrasound NORMAL
*Holter monitor NORMAL
*Numerous bloodwork was normal until my PT and APPT was high and INR low,sodium and chloride also low

For those of you who have Lupus what do you think? What dr. should I go to for more testing? I have a neurologist and a cardiologist, could either one of them do the other necessary bloodwork that would be needed? I just "fired" my PCP after I got my results from my neurologist (she had the nerve to call and tell me she got the report from my neuro and that my MRI and bloodwork was normal) so I have to get a new one of those....LOL! Sorry for the long post but when I was researching the Lupus Anticoagulant all these things popped up with what I have been experiencing for the past 10 months since my son was born! I feel like a new person in a way.....like I found the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks in advance

Shell

Closed Thread