It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

bonnie381 HB User
is lupus hereditry

hi new to all this, i may have lupus, awaiting test results, nobody in my family has ever had it before this. my children were born with Panahypergammglobulimia (immune defiency) igg and igm which they say came from my side not my husbands, as his first two children from a previous marriage were ok.
please tell me of some symptoms
i have horrendous scarring and mouth ulcers and severe infections on my fingers. any little treatment on my teeth ie a filling causes an abscess and then 3 courses of antibiotics, still don't clear and have to have tooth removed lost four teeth already.i keep it very clean and the hospital have given me mouthwash steriods. do you think i have lupus. there are many sites on the internet with so much information, some too technical. so i thought i would ask the experts you lot the people who also suffer
thanks for reading this.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: is lupus hereditry

Yes, Lupus can be hereditary, it runs in both sides of my family and I am lucky so far to not have the diagnosis, and when I say it runs... there is not a female relative on either side that has not recieved the diagnosis of Lupus by the age of 40 (I am a little over a year away from that milestone and hope to start a new trend)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

Just a snippet of info for you, I am off to blood taking clinic at the surgery again - oh heaven !

"It is suspected that people inherit something from their parents that predisposes them to develop lupus. They are not necessarily pre-destined to develop lupus, but they may be more susceptible. Relatives of lupus patients have an approximate 5-12% greater tendency to get the disease if family members have it".

"The exact cause of lupus is unknown, but it is likely to be a combination of factors. A person's genetic make-up & exposure to certain trigger factors may provide the right environment in which lupus can develop".

Hope this is of some help.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 06-21-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

ammicro HB User

I am newly diagnosed with lupus and I am also a scientist. From what I understand from very preliminary reading on the research, scientists know that the autoimmune diseases have a correlation that points to some type of inheritance pattern but that it is not disease specific and what kicks in expression of the inheritance is not known. All that I would conclude from research I have seen so far is that if a family member has one of the autoimmune diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc., family members should be aware of this and vigilant about informing their physicians. I don't think the research yet warrants at all that one should conclude that these diseases will be specifically inherited.

My best wishes,
ammicro

Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Bonnie, Hello & welcome! For condensed info, try the "sticky posts" (permanent posts) at the top of the thread list.

One describes how systemic lupus (SLE) is diagnosed & classified. While 4 or more criteria must be met to support the diagnosis of SLE, they do not necessarily have to occur simultaneously. ANA is mostly positive.

In addition to SLE, there are "subsets" in which fewer than 4 criteria may be met, as follows:

DLE = discoid lupus erythematosus. This is considered the mildest form but can have profound cosmetic implications. Rashes that scar &/or depigment are featured---plus, perhaps, milder problems like fatigue & joint pain. A small percent of people with DLE progress to classic SLE. ANA is positive only about 50% of the time.

SCLE = subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus. Two rashes are featured: annular (targetlike) or psoriasiform (looks like psoriasis but isn't). Unlike in DLE, SCLE rashes tend NOT to scar &/or depigment. ANA is positive perhaps 70% of the time (or so). Anti-Ro is the most common autoantibody. Symptoms may extend thru the entire spectrum seen in classic SLE, but the odds of kidney & CNS involvement are thought to be lower in SCLE than in classic SLE.

Finally, the other two are drug-induced (DILE) and neo-natal.

Have you ever seen a rheumatologist or a dermatologist? Had full bloodwork done, meaning all sorts of specialized antibody & complement tests, as well as the "threshhold" ANA test? Had urinalysis, to check for protein?

You mentioned scarring: are these scars from rashes? Are they on photo-exposed (sun-exposed) areas?

I hope you post more soon. I think you'll find a lot of people here willing to chip in things they've encountered as patients, both those with answers & those still seeking same. Sending you my best wishes! Sincerely, Vee

P.S. There's a world-famous lupus dr. in the U.K. named Dr. Graham Hughes. He's written some books that are reputed to be both excellent & readable.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie381 View Post
hi new to all this, i may have lupus, awaiting test results, nobody in my family has ever had it before this. my children were born with Panahypergammglobulimia (immune defiency) igg and igm which they say came from my side not my husbands, as his first two children from a previous marriage were ok.
please tell me of some symptoms
i have horrendous scarring and mouth ulcers and severe infections on my fingers. any little treatment on my teeth ie a filling causes an abscess and then 3 courses of antibiotics, still don't clear and have to have tooth removed lost four teeth already.i keep it very clean and the hospital have given me mouthwash steriods. do you think i have lupus. there are many sites on the internet with so much information, some too technical. so i thought i would ask the experts you lot the people who also suffer
thanks for reading this.
I was just wondering if they have ruled out that you dont suffer from a type of immune deficiency, based on the problems you have. I am not saying it cant be lupus, but it also seems your symptoms trend to the area of an underactive immune system in lieu of an over active one as with lupus.

Erin
Dallas

Closed Thread