It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Lupus in middle aged male?

A few months ago I was having a discussion with my pastor's wife. She has been suffering with lupus for a couple of years now. We were comparing symtoms and everyone I have she has. Fast forward one month ago during my annual physical I told my primary doc about the conversation. He told me I can't have lupus because I'm too old[55] and the wrong sex[male]. So he sent me for the usual blood work, sed rate normal/thiroid normal. According to him I just have a lot of osteo arthritis in my spine and hands and knees and feet and elbows that comes and goes . Also the canker sores in my mouth that come and go in a day or less and just happen to come about the time everything hurts is nothing. Same with the little red dots all over my trunk and down my legs- nothing to worry about. Is it just me or is my doctor missing something?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Lupus in middle aged male?

Hi, Fred. I couldn't know whether your dr. has missed anything, as I'm only a patient. But, for starters, you could ask for a copy of your bloodwork. The blood tests used, in part, to detect lupus have to be ordered as "extras". There aren't part of panels like CBC, etc.

You could read the three "sticky posts", which are the permanent posts that appear at the top of the thread list. Systemic lupus is diagnosed when someone meets 4 or more of the 11 criteria listed. The criteria do not have to be met simultaneously, by the way. And in addition to SLE, there are other types of lupus, typically less severe, called "subsets", for which you do not have to meet 4 criteria.

As for arthritis: it's a hallmark of so many conditions. I think there are more than 100 distinct kinds.

Canker-like sores are common & lots of people get them. People with lupus are prone to mucosal problems. But, again, like arthritis, they aren't terribly "specific".

What your dr. said about being the wrong age & wrong sex: I wouldn't really agree, from what I've read. Plus I know several men with lupus. It's not nearly so common in men, but it can certainly occur.

But those little RED DOTS down your trunk & legs: I *think* these can occur in various conditions, like lupus, for one. And also in VASCULITIS. In your shoes, I'd definitely want more feedback. Did your dr. see them? Are they widespread? I really would follow up, if I were you. And if your current dr. doesn't take your concerns seriously, is there someone else you could see? Sending you my best wishes, Sincerely, Vee

P.S. My plumber had a serious bout with vasculitis & had to take steroids. He came out OK, but he had a very bad year or so. Any condition that can compromise skin, circulation, etc. can't be ignored, so I really hope you force a competent medical professional to look into this. Good luck! Let us know how you're doing when you can, OK?

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
Nonsense (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks, Happy Independence Day!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I wonder if nerve compression and/or blood vessel constriction due to spine problems might cause vasculitis or a similar condition.....

Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Arthr and welcome!

I'll add that those mouth ulcers can be painless and tiny. Mine were found by my dentist and I was unaware of them.

As Vee said, if you have any 4 of the 11 classic lupus symptoms, you need a workup with lupus specific labwork. I found it helpful to my doctor to keep a brief diary of my symptoms and how I was feeling. Another thing to notice and record is if you feel worse after spending time in the sunshine.

My own diagnosis came after an intense 3 weeks of odd symptoms complicated by my allergic reaction to the first med the 1st doctor put me on. Bummer! BTW, with lupus you can suddenly develop allergies, and many of us are allergic to Sulfa. My allergic reaction was to Celebrex as it has a sulfonamide in its chemical makeup. Anyway, my little notes about who said what and how I felt were very helpful to the 4th doctor I saw, a wonderful rheumatologist who was of the most help. For one thing, he deduced that the Celebrex had made me much worse.

Long story short (too late!), a rheumatologist who cares for many lupus patients in his or her practice would probably be the best kind of doctor for you to see. As I learned, most lupus patients have symptoms for 6 to 10 years before they are accurately diagnosed.

Methinks your doctor is totally wrong about you being safe from lupus because you're male. Charles Kuralt, of "On The Road with Charles Kuralt" and book fame, had lupus.

Keep looking for answers! Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks all. Hi Baybreeze! I'm a regular on the backpain boards.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hiya Arthr Itis! Yes, I thought I recognized your name. This is also a great board with lots of support & advice!

Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I meant to add something a few days ago & forgot. (Middle-aged memory..!) It's about chasing down skin problems. I didn't know, not being a professional, how many skin manifestations are outward red flags for underlying internal problems.

I also didn't realize that not all dermatologists know what tests to order. I figured that a biopsy ought to yield answers, never realizing that additional specialized tests may be warranted---if the dermie thinks to call for them.

I hope you try to figure out what all your red dots are & move on to another doctor(s) if you get stymied. Take care! Thinking of you, Vee

Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
(male)

hlyles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthr Itis View Post
A few months ago I was having a discussion with my pastor's wife. She has been suffering with lupus for a couple of years now. We were comparing symtoms and everyone I have she has. Fast forward one month ago during my annual physical I told my primary doc about the conversation. He told me I can't have lupus because I'm too old[55] and the wrong sex[male]. So he sent me for the usual blood work, sed rate normal/thiroid normal. According to him I just have a lot of osteo arthritis in my spine and hands and knees and feet and elbows that comes and goes . Also the canker sores in my mouth that come and go in a day or less and just happen to come about the time everything hurts is nothing. Same with the little red dots all over my trunk and down my legs- nothing to worry about. Is it just me or is my doctor missing something?
Arthr-
I'm a 57 year old male who was just diagnosed with lupus sle and scleroderma; I also have rash from crotch to ankle on both legs with banding around knees with the skin getting thick and shiny so I disagree with your primary doc; I'd suggest you find a good dermo and rheumy

Closed Thread