It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

cookingmom HB User
methotrexate and leucovorin

Just wondering if any is taking the combination of methotrexate and leucovorin? I had to go off of the Plaquenil due to myopathy. When my symptoms started to get worse and worse, my rheumy added leucovorin to my meth. I take them on the same day each week but 12 hours apart. I feel slightly nauseated all the time (not enough to keep me from eating) and I feel like I get tired so much more quickly. I thought I would ask if any one else has taken this combo and if so, how did it work for you.

Thank you, Bern

Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: methotrexate and leucovorin

From what I have read this is a type of folic acid. I took that as well with the methotrexate. It is used to help with the side effects of the methotrexate and keep down the bad side effects.

In the end the MTX didnt work well for me. I hope you have better luck with it.

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

NHCasey HB User

Hi, I'm on 20 mg of MTX and the Leucovorin too...along with other drugs.

My doctor added the Leucovorin to hopefully stop he hair loss....it's not working yet.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

gina9871 HB User

Yes, I am on 20 mg of mtx and take leukovorin 24 hrs after the mtx. It is a folic acid that is supposed to prevent the continued absorbtion of the mtx into the system which could be potentially harmful to the "good" cells in the body. The mtx reaches it's maximum efficacy in the first 12-24 hrs after ingestion, so the folic/leukovorin is kind of like a reversal/rescue drug of sorts. I don't have a lupus dx but a lupus-like Connective Tissue Disease. The mtx worked well for me in the first 3 months but it's not been able to get me into remission. My rheumy is battling my insurance co to also get me on Enbrel injections along with the mtx right now.
I don't get nauseous on the mtx any longer and it was only very minor to begin with (been on it since Jan.07) but I'd hate to think how badly I'd feel without the mtx. Plaquenil wasn't helpful in my situation. I'm still on 10 mg of prednisone and it's my saving grace along with celebrex.
I had some minor hair loss with my illness even before I started any meds and that hasn't changed even with the mtx - I'm still sort of "shedding" - but I had a lot of hair to begin with
Good luck to you.
Gina

Closed Thread