It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

Cess HB User
ANA test results...help please!

Hi,
I was needed help with test results for the Titered Anti-nuclear. I got this done 2-06. My results show 1:320. It then says Titered pattern speckled pattern SS-A. Then it says “interp-speckled pattern SS-A (Ro) pattern >/= 1:160 this distinctive patter is confirmatory for anti-nuclear SS-A (Ro).”
What does this mean? The doc never followed up and I am having huge issues like LARGE thyroid, tired, etc.
Thanks, Megan

Old 07-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: ANA test results...help please!

Hi Megan -

Welcome! Sorry you need to be here, but you've found the right place for information.

Back in 1999 when I was dxed, my rheumie told me 1:39 or less is negative and anything over that is positive for an autoimmune disease. The higher the number to the right of the colon, the more active the disease.

In the top sticky on this thread and the first post there, you'll find a web site posted where you can find information on interpreting lab results. Someone with more knowledge than I have may come along soon, too!

Cheers! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

It looks like it is saying your ANA was a low positive with a speckled pattern. The RO SSA antibody is positive. That is what popped on my blood work first. RO SSA can be linked to Lupus, and Sjorgrens. It's also is highly associated with photosensitivity and has a high predominance to CNS symptoms (note I said symptoms, not CNS Lupus). One does not always mean the other. Is the Ro SSB positive too?

Vee will probably chime in here soon. She is also RO SSA positive and has done extensive reading on it.

In my case the RO SSA was the one that showed positive first. My ANA didnt show high positive till about a year ago. He said something about the SSA antibody alters the titer and keeps it lower. I can't really explain it though sometimes when he is talking it sounds like "waa waa waa waa" lol...brain fog can be a real pain in the butt!

Erin
Dallas TX

Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Megan. I'm just a patient, but in my humble opinion your doctor SHOULD have followed up on the positive anti-Ro test result.

As the others wrote, anti-Ro is associated with Sjogren's Syndrome and also with lupus. FYI, there's an excellent hardcover called "The Lupus Book", available in most libraries & bookstores. It's by Dr. Daniel Wallace. In his chapter "Is It Really Lupus?", Dr. Wallace lists autoantibodies that simply SHOULD NOT EXIST, as they are suggestive of an underlying disorder. Anti-Ro is one of those listed. Simply put, your findings warrant follow-up.

I had a raft of varied problems over many years. Pneumonia & encephalitis. Widespread blistery rash at age 8. Joint/shin pain, fever, fatigue and elevated sed rate starting at age 13. Chronic GI misery starting in my early 20's. Then migraines, weight loss, sciatica, and hair loss. Urinary frequency & urgency. Urinary stones, once a total blockage. Anemia. ETC. The very LAST thing that appeared was a recurring arm/torso rash that I had for EIGHT+ years before getting proper answers. (I looked very bizarre.)

I finally fled my suburban drs. for a teaching hospital rheumie. Had I realized sooner that lupus was a possibility---that there are "subsets" that can look a lot like SLE but have DIFFERENT rashes & antibodies I'd never heard of before---well, I'd have gone to a teaching hospital much sooner, in the proverbial New York Minute.

Once there, I got answers very quickly, subject to new tests, of course. I have a "subset" of systemic lupus (SLE) called SCLE, which stands for "subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus". Many with it fulfill 4 or more of the "4 of 11" ACR criteria used to Dx classic SLE; but the criteria fulfilled by SCLE patients tend to be the "lesser" ones. To illustrate that: kidney & CNS complications are thought to be less likely in SCLE than in classic SLE.

Do you have skin rashes? Two SCLE-specific rashes are associated with anti-Ro. One is annular (ringlike), and the other is psoriasiform (looks like psoriasis but isn't). I had the annular form. The last dermie I saw is a dermatopathologist, who is both a dermatologist and a pathologist & thus does his own labwork. He did some very particular immunofluorescent stain tests on my deep skin punch, that light up in a totally unique way if it's a lupus rash---and mine glowed. Thus, the rheumie & he concurred: I have the SCLE "subset" of lupus.

I was told that about 70% of people with the SCLE form of lupus will test ANA-positive, the other 30% may not ever. Anti-Ro may "mask" the ANA findings in some people, I was told.

The good news: I've been on Plaquenil for some years, and I've had the best run of health in my entire life, from age 3 onwards. Sun avoidance is (alas) a big "must" for me.

I didn't have the dry eyes & dry mouth strongly associated with Sjogren's. So for me, positive anti-Ro, plus the presence of symptoms that are lupus-like, spelled out a Dx of SCLE without Sjogren's. Some people do have both lupus and Sjogren's, it should be said.

In his hardcover, Dr. Wallace also discusses Sjogren's at some length. And you could also use the search box at the above left to find out more about SCLE and Sjogren's.

Anyway, I really hope you keep posting. Let me know if the above strikes any chords with you, OK? Meanwhile, I'm sending my best wishes to you. Bye for now. And---HANG IN THERE! Sincerely, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 07-11-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

italiungrl HB User
ANA help

My son had a + ANA it was 40 they told me the range was 1-40 so he was the end of it.

was does it mean he is a very healthy football player has had a weird rash on his right cest/nipple area for 2 months .

Closed Thread