It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Question Pediatric Lupus

OK yall, I need your help. I've been told it's possible my daughter has lupus. I've been pushing for extensive testing for years. Her ped basically brushed it off & thought I was just overreacting. She's had a Sed Rate in the past that was supposedly OK, but she would never do an ANA. Well, she's been have visual symptoms lately. So, I pushed hard, and she gave in just to "give me peace of mind". I just got a call today telling me that it came back abnormal. Now, they're trying to get her in to a Ped Rheumy at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.

I have lupus myself. So, I've suspected for some time that something was wrong. I guess I could've pushed hard, but I was probably a bit in denial or didn't want to believe it. Plus, after being treated like I'm nuts w/ my health then my daughters... I guess I got to where I thought "maybe I am nuts".

What do yall know about lupus in kids (tests, signs/symptoms, dx criteria, treatment...)?

Here's some lists to go on...what I can remember anyways.

Signs & Symptoms

Musculoskeletal:

Joint pain & popping
Neck hurts to bend
Back hurts to straighten
Muscle weakness (went to ER b/c she could barlely stand up; came back w/ abnormal blood WBC & NA)

CNS:

Clumsy/coordination problems
Behavioral issues
Memory problems
Poor concentration

Pulmonology:

Recurrent upper respiratory infections
Tires easily w/ activity

Urology:

Bladder infections

EENT:

Dry eyes

CV:

Heart palpitations/arrhythmia
Occasional high BP

GI:

Stomach pain
N & V
Occasional mouth sore, sensitive/bleeding gums

Skin:

Rashes

Miscellaneous:

Unexplained low grade fevers
FATIGUE

Diagnosis

Asthma
ADHD
Allergies
Sleep Apnea
Heart murmur

Tests

Head/neck CT
Allergy panel
CBC
Sed Rate
ANA (abnormal)
WBC (abnormal)
NA (abnormal)
Some sort of abnormal “Newborn Screening” tests; hemoglobin E?

I won't go into family hx. lol

Ya know what burns me the most? The fact that I have been trying to get her ped to listen to me since she was 2 yrs old, but she kept saying everything was fine. So, I took her word for it even though, in the background, I still felt something was wrong. I wish I had listened to my "mother's intuition" more, but more importantly, I wish her doctor had. She has let my baby continue to get sicker & suffer for the past 5 years. I wish they could take her license away for this! Geez, she oughta be ashamed of herself. Instead, she was on the phone still trying to under mind me. Aaaaaaaa!!!

So, anyhoo. Any feedbacks upport is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Pediatric Lupus

Hi -

Sorry all this has happened and don't kick yourself about it! You trusted the doctor as you had good reason to. It's a bummer when time and your intuition prove things different, but it's a good time to start the investigation to help your daughter.

I'm no expert, just a lupus pt myself, but I'd suggest you ask for copies of every lab test your daughter has ever had, whether from the hospital where she was born, to any other hospitalization she's had, to the pediatrician's office. You have the right to have copies, tho you may be charged for them - as I was for copies of my own lab test results. You'll be glad you have a folder of this information as it could be important to have it all in one place someday.

Be sure your new doctor know of the abnormal test results!

Wishing you and your daughter well - Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 07-12-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

tipima HB User

Hi, I am so sorry that you have been.., for lack of a better word, bullied by this doc. I, unfortunately, have had the pleasure of being bullied by several docs, they act like they know everything and you know nothing, eventhought it's your life and your experiences and your symptoms..., it's terrible!! I have actually had a doc told me one time that I might as well face it, I am 30yrs old, my health is bad and it's only gonna get worse, so why even try yah, that's what she said, pretty aweful!! I prayed for someone to take her license away, but what can you do, unfortunately even some of the smartest people can be the most ignorant sometimes. Hang in there, be strong for your daughter and don't give up. I will say a prayer for both of you.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipima View Post
Hi, I am so sorry that you have been.., for lack of a better word, bullied by this doc. I, unfortunately, have had the pleasure of being bullied by several docs, they act like they know everything and you know nothing, eventhought it's your life and your experiences and your symptoms..., it's terrible!! I have actually had a doc told me one time that I might as well face it, I am 30yrs old, my health is bad and it's only gonna get worse, so why even try yah, that's what she said, pretty aweful!! I prayed for someone to take her license away, but what can you do, unfortunately even some of the smartest people can be the most ignorant sometimes. Hang in there, be strong for your daughter and don't give up. I will say a prayer for both of you.
Thanks so much! That means a lot to me.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraH View Post
Hi -

Sorry all this has happened and don't kick yourself about it! You trusted the doctor as you had good reason to. It's a bummer when time and your intuition prove things different, but it's a good time to start the investigation to help your daughter.

I'm no expert, just a lupus pt myself, but I'd suggest you ask for copies of every lab test your daughter has ever had, whether from the hospital where she was born, to any other hospitalization she's had, to the pediatrician's office. You have the right to have copies, tho you may be charged for them - as I was for copies of my own lab test results. You'll be glad you have a folder of this information as it could be important to have it all in one place someday.

Be sure your new doctor know of the abnormal test results!

Wishing you and your daughter well - Barbara
Monday, I'm going to be looking into getting copies of ALL her records!

Closed Thread