It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
(female)

roses4evver HB User
Does anyone know?

I just had a TKR almost 4 wks ago (Tues will be 4 wks). I have Osteo, Rheumatoid, diabetes & Lupus & I'm 46 F. I didn't have any complications except extreme pain following surgery. For some reason the block just didn't work & I eneded up in the ICU to try & get my pain under control. This extreme pain continues & I still need pain medication every 4 hrs. I know having these two underlying conditions can slow the healing process but can having Lupus substantiate having this bad of pain???? I'm using a cane now & doing ok, but the pain is escruciating day & night. My ortho Dr takes this so lightly....he doesn't have to live it. If you could just tell me what you know I would appreciate it. I won't be seeing my Rheumy for another week. Thanks!

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Does anyone know?

Hi, I know that many stressful things can cause lupus flares (and probably the same with RA). You have both, plus the other conditions and all individually can cause all sorts of havoc. There is definitely a possibilty that surgery (being very stressful on the body) can cause a flare-up. For myself, after spine surgery, luckily I didnt really have a major flare (at least not with my joints, etc)...but I did have ALOT of fatigue which lasted alot longer than normal. I felt myself very drained. It could be that I've been on Plaquenil for a long time, and this does seem to help control my flares for the most part.

Do you take plaquenil? OR another thing, do you take steroids for your RA or lupus? I dont know if you even can with having diabetes, but if were taking steroids before surgery, taht may have something to do with how you're feeling now as well. It could all sorts of things. But surgery in itself can definitely cause a flare. Have you mentioned this to your rheumy at all?

I do hope you start feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User

Hi There,

I have not been diagnosed with lupus yet, but have UCTD and many symptoms and some bloodwork that lean towards lupus. I had rectal surgery in January and was feeling my normal ok before surgery. I was on strict bedrest for 3 1/2 weeks, and a liquid diet for that long also. I have been in an awful flare ever since (6 mos now) Now I am on plaquenil, relafen, and steroids to get it under control. I am very slowly getting better. I had awful debilitating fatigue, horrible joint pain, pleurisy, ANA 1280, swollen knees, hands, and ankles, and could barely walk. Now at least I am functional. The steroids helped a lot, and I am on a very slow weaning protocol. I am hoping once the plaquenil kicks in fully, I will be feeling better. Hope your on the mend soon. Any kind of surgery is a huge stress on the body. Hang in there.

Kelley

Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
(female)

roses4evver HB User

Thanks for posting...

I take Arava for the Rhematoid (oral med). I had been taking Enbrel for the Lupus (shot once a week in the gut) since last May. I had to discontinue that almost 3 mo ago because suddenly I couldn't be in the sun at all without breaking out with sun poisoning.
I'm on oral meds for my diabetes & it' well controlled. No I wasn't taking steroids prior to surgery. I've been feeling real poor & a lot of pain since stopping enbrel & 10x more since surgery. They did labs almost a wk ago & said they would put me on plaquenil if the labs were in favor of that. I have an appt in a week.

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

tipima HB User

hi, I also have lupus and RA, from my understanding,when you have lupus your immune system basically does not function like it should, in a normal person after having a surgery the body would heal itself the way it should but for us our bodies can't heal because our immune systems are all funky. I got real sick last year and had to be hospitalized, found out I had phenmonia, but what was worse is that I became so stiff that I could not move at all, the only way to get rid of that flare up was to increase my prednisone from 10mg to 40mg, yeah...,horrible, but it actually helped a lot!! I know that steroids are so bad for you but it might help if you are in that much pain. I am slowly weaning off the prenisone now, I am down to 7mg and I feel ok, you know...., you never really feel 100%. I hope that you find a solution for your problems soon. Pain is no fun!! My prayers are with you

Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

rayhan HB User
Cool Re: Does anyone know?

Hi everyone,
I am a new member and registered yesterday.My name is rayhaneh and I am from iran but I immigrated to UK when I got married 2 years ago and live in cardiff(wales) now.
I have lupus from 7 years ago when I was 20 years old and it is SLE.
I was on prednisolon and lots of tablets ,then after 2 years it affected my kidny which there were lots of protein and ceratine in my urine, so I was taking the psychlofasfamaid(not sure abot spelling) pulses with infusion every month for 6 months and it was terrible !!!!!!!!!!!
then I started some kind of energy healing which was really helpful and my steroid reduced to 5mg a day .
But when I came here because I had lots of stress(new country and culture,far from friends and family,don't find job,....) and my body should use to new wheather so my kidny affected again and I was so sick and again those pulses for 6 months and hair loss.
But I wasn't dissapointed and continue my searching because I always believed that I shoulden't be weak and hopeless.
So , I read a lot and did some alternative therapies like foot reflexology and indian head massage and my energy healing .
I found lots of information for nutrition which is so important for lupus (which drs say it's not) and changed my nutrition.
As a result I went to visit my Dr 3 months ago and the results was really grate so he stoped my steroyd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I had an appointment last week (9th july) and there wasn't any protein or ceratine in my urine (my urine test was normal) .
My DNA was always more than 200(the normal is less than 20)and last week my DNA was 75 (from more than 200)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That isn't mean I am compeletly well and without lupus, that means I am absolutly better and can continue my way to be totaly lupus free.

So I wanted to tell you all, that lupus isn't an incurable illness,it is just a sign of body that says something is wrong with me.
If you beleive it and do something,change your stessful situations and have respect to your body,it will repair itself,but if you want to continue the same way ,the problem is there for ever.

Change your way of thinking to change your life.

You can choose yourself to live all your life with lupus and pain or try different ways and want to be better.
I can give you one site address which is about 2 girls who healed there lupus and gave lots of information.
If you are interested and just want to change , please leave me a message and I will tell you the details.
Thank you so much for take your time to read my story breifly and I send you all hope and love.

Closed Thread