It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

shoobiness HB User
Lightbulb Boyfriend with Lupus, I want to support him...

Hi everyone,

My name is Christine and I am new to health boards. I joined specifically to try and find some support//answers about lupus. My boyfriend whom I have known for six months and dating for four, has lupus. He was diagnosed at 15 (he is now 19) and told me shortly after we met. I will admit that I didn't know anything about lupus until he told me. I immediatley went to my computer and did research, I also asked my father whom was a naval doc for 27 years and knew a little bit about it.

Okay, now for my question (thought the background would be important, sorry if it wasn't) I want to support my boyfriend in any way I can. Right now we are both on a low-sodium diet per his doctor's request, I remind him to take his meds at night and in the morning, I pray for him night and day, and I will be going to his doctors apointment within the next couple of weeks to talk to his doctor. Is there anyothing else that I can do? I feel that its not enough, even though he says it is. Please help me know how I can support him.

Thanks guys,
--Christine

Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
(female)

rayhan HB User
Re: Boyfriend with Lupus, I want to support him...

Hi christine,
I have had lupus for 7 years but I feel really grate now and if you are interested of details I can send you emai or leave a messege.
I wach my nutrition and he should drink 8-10 glass of water per day.
I cut off my tea and coffee totaly and just drink herbal tea.
I cut off my red meat,sugar,white rice and bread,white flour and dairy products(drink soya milk).
He should take some vitamins and minerals and gensing are really helpful for giving energy.
Also I do yoga,chi kung,feet reflexology,indian head massage and energy healing which are really helpful to flow the energy through the body and release the blockage in meridian lines in the body.
I can give you some site address which can help you and give you lots of hope ,because it is about 2 girls who have healed their lupus and I know it is possible as well,just should change the stressful situation and be positive.
Hope to hear from you soon and take care.
rayhaneh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Christine. There are some excellent lupus hardcovers available in most libraries & bookstores. I borrowed them from the library, browsed first, and only then decided which to purchase. Several good authors are (1) Dr. Daniel Wallace and (2) Dr. Robert Lahita.

As far as how much you can do to help your guy: I think *he's* the only one who can & should define that. I think following *his* lead would be your best & and most respectful choice.

Also, if your guy has to limit sun exposure, as many of us do, maybe you could buy YOURSELF some hats, too; and be sensitive when planning joint outings. I have to laugh (kinda, sorta). I am revoltingly photosensitive, but my friends STILL invite me to their beach house in July, and my husband still proposes tropical vacations. I feel like crying when I hear their suggestions, because I miss my old activities SO MUCH.

Is your guy doing generally OK? I hope so! Wishing you both the very best, sincerely, Vee

Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Christine,

How thoughtful of you to care enough to ask these questions! Your boyfriend is lucky you're in his life.

I was dxed 8 years ago at age 48 and have not needed to make the many changes to my life that Rayhan has listed.

I do echo Vee's caution of being outside in the sunshine, especially in the hottest hours of the day where you live. I'm in Virginia and try to stay inside from 11am until 5pm unless I'm dressed in clothes that cover me head to toe. Yep, that includes a broad brimmed straw hat and SPF 45+ sunscreen. Sadly and most annoyingly, the sun makes the lupus fatigue, rashes, aches, and pains much worse and that can linger for weeks. Bummer to the max! These simple precautions can make life much, much better. Hope your boyfriend will give this a try to see how much it helps him.

Wishing you both well! Barbara

Closed Thread