It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

italiungrl HB User
18 year old son + ANA

he is a healthy fooball player, went in for a rash on one side of his chest area around the nipple ,some joint pains, he gets canker sores alot. nothing ewlse inthe bloodwork showed up.

he says he feels fine now, and the rach is subsiding after they gave him some anti fungal meds. they said he was borderline + im lost

Old 07-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: 18 year old son + ANA

Hi -

Sorry you need to be here and that you have concerns about your son and his blood tests. If you read the third sticky on this thread, there is good information about lupus symptoms. I'll add that the "mouth ulcers" can be tiny and not painful - my dentist found mine and I couldn't feel them at all. Also, the sunshine makes the aches, rashes, and fatigue of lupus worse. I know that's not what a young man who plays football wants to hear, but it's true.

If his ANA is positive, what was the number? It's written as a ratio, as in 1:_. I was told 1:39 or less is normal. My first was 1:40 and second, 6 weeks later was 1:600 or 800.

As is the case with many lupus patients, I also became allergic to Sulfa and to Celebrex (has a sulfonamide in its chemical makeup) and the Celebrex made my symptoms MUCH worse!

I recommend you find a rheumatologist who cares for lots of lupus patients if your son needs further follow-up with lupus in mind.

Wishing you both well - Barbara
Your neighbor slightly to the north!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

italiungrl HB User

His Dr. who is a General Pract. I think said it was 40 Im not sure she didnt think it was any thing to worry about since he had imflammation from the rash, she said if I want to sooth my concerns she'd rfer to Rhem. Never mentioned lupus

Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Italiungrl. I'm sorry you're having to worry about your son. Another approach might be his rash, if it isn't resolved by an anti-fungal med... And/or if his joint pains, etc. persist...

There are multiple kinds of lupus RASHES. Here are some common ones:
---butterfly (also called malar); by definition, is facial
---subacute cutaneous, annular (targetlike) form; usually nonscarring
---subacute cutaneous, psoriasiform; usually nonscarring
---discoid; tend to scar &/or depigment

I had many years of subacute cutaneous rashes on my arms & torso. They were the annular (targetlike) form. These rashes were the last thing to appear in my long, evolving medical history, which included joint & shin pain way back to childhood. At first I didn't correlate them with sun exposure, because they appeared MONTHS after summer sun. I saw multiple dermatologists, all of whom did bloodwork & skin tests. But my dermies didn't do the RIGHT skin tests, I discovered much later.

My local drs., including rheumatologists (duh?!), didn't recognize the variant "subset" of lupus I had, which was SCLE = subacute cutaneous LE. The word "subacute" is a bit misleading here, as people with this form often meet at least 4 of the 11 ACR criteria for SLE. Their odds, however, of having the worst SLE problems, meaning kidney &/or cental nervous system, are thought to be less than in SLE. Most test positive for anti-Ro, and also for anti-La. In SCLE, ANA is also positive roughly 2/3 of the time, it's thought.

So these are just some thoughts about rashes, in case your son's do NOT clear up... Let me know if anything here doesn't make enough sense, OK? Sending your son & you best wishes---Sincerely, Vee

Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
(female)

italiungrl HB User

Thanks for all the info the anti fungal seems to be working, its almost gone, it was around one of his nipples one side, what is a target like rash?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

realisticchic HB User

On me, the target like rash closely resembled ringworm, in fact that was what it was first misdiagnosed as......I was given an anti-fungal cream, which gave me a secondary rash and didn't help the first (ringworm) rash, didn't know at the time a lot of people with sle are allergic to an ingredient in the anti-fungal cream. Next line of treatment was a drug called griffulvin (generic) or griseofulvin(brand name)......had a jawdropping horrible reaction to that drug......once again didn't know it is a drug people with lupus react to, nor, at the time did I know I had lupus. I was dxd in part because of my bad reactions to those two drugs. My ana shortly after this and after experiencing some other really nasty symptoms was 1:40.....my dsdna was fantastically high though.

Closed Thread