It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User
The Sun

Ok, I have always focused on the sun as a source for rashes but never thought that it could be causing my nerve and muscle problems until today. I was in and out of the sun but at two points I was litterly trapped with the sun beaming on me (traffic jam). Anyway, both times, my face began to tingle and I felt like tiny bugs were crawling all over my face (including inside my mouth). Then I felt weak and the mucles in my legs and arms began to spasm. I just came in and while sitting here my leg muscles are spasming like crazy. Does anyone else have similar reactions to the sun?

Michelle

Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: The Sun

Hi, I haven't noticed exactly that...however, I have noticed that since I moved to a new desk at work where I have to use an overhead fluorescent desk light (before I didnt need one b/c there was enough natural light)...it's about a foot over my head; if I'm sitting there under it too long, then my face and neck start burning and tingling as if I have sunburn. I haven't noticed any muscle spasming due to this in myself, though. I do get spasms, but it's due to something else. Also, if I'm in the stores too long or outside too long (even with protection), I started feeling very drained of energy. One other thing that just started happening to me a couple weeks ago - I drove down to the pharmacy and suddenly my eyes could not take the light outside. It didnt hurt, but my eyes watered so much the whole drive like I was bawling. LIke I said it wasnt really "pain", it was uncomfortable and my eyes just felt very sensitive. I had to buy sunglasses while there and sometimes I even have to wear them while at my computer screen, b/c that seems to bother me also on & off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

I too have noticed over the last couple of weeks that I have pain in my left eye whenever I am outside on a sunny day. I have transition glasses so my regular glasses turn into sunglasses when the sun is out. My opthamologist said that I have dry eyes but the pain isn't from that and only starts if I am outside for an extended amout of time.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

I have had sunsensitivity for years. I noticed in high school, and it just worsened over time. I found that being out in the sun increased my flares, my muscle aches, my energy would be depleted. I would get rashes, red or heat bumps/rash. If I am exposed for too long, I find that I will literally just drop off to sleep almost anywhere. I wear sunscreen always, uva/uvb shades, spf protected clothing. The eye pain, I just try to never go out with out my shades or a light cover up. Its just not sunlight, any many cases, it can be untraviolet ights period. A few years ago, I went see my parents, and I was sitting at the computer, and their desk lamp, burned me, reddened my skin. Be careful. My doctor had a lot of information on photosensitivty.
Flee

Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Thanks.

I get so comfused about photosensitivity. I always related it to the butterfly rash which I am not sure if I get it or not. I have noticed that since the Spring I have had a constant "heat bump" like rash over my entire face. Additionally, I get raised bumps on my cheeks but that usually go away pretty quickly. I used to be the girl layed out in the sun reading a book or something. Now I run from the Sun as if it is chasing me. I can tolerate it but it is not longer pleasurable, if that makes sense. I feel like I am being baked. My flares affect my legs the worst. I find that my muscle start jerking or will tighten up almost like a charlie horse but not just in my calf. It can be in front of my lower legs or the front and/or back of my thighs. My fingers also do alot of spasming. Does any of this make sense?

Michelle

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed4Life View Post
Thanks.

I get so comfused about photosensitivity. I always related it to the butterfly rash which I am not sure if I get it or not. I have noticed that since the Spring I have had a constant "heat bump" like rash over my entire face. Additionally, I get raised bumps on my cheeks but that usually go away pretty quickly. I used to be the girl layed out in the sun reading a book or something. Now I run from the Sun as if it is chasing me. I can tolerate it but it is not longer pleasurable, if that makes sense. I feel like I am being baked. My flares affect my legs the worst. I find that my muscle start jerking or will tighten up almost like a charlie horse but not just in my calf. It can be in front of my lower legs or the front and/or back of my thighs. My fingers also do alot of spasming. Does any of this make sense?

Michelle
DO YOU HAVE THEM IN YOUR FACE TOO?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

jusbreatheOM,

I'm not sure what you mean? I have small, fine bumps all over my face but the ones that itch are the once that suddenly come up on my cheeks. As for the muscle spasms, I have them too in my face. Mostly they happen in my eye (yesterday my left I twitched all day), my cheeks, and nose. I also get numbness inside my mouth including the inside of cheeks and gums. My nose often feels like it is vibrating on my face.

Michelle

Closed Thread