It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
(female)

Felicitrika HB User
Looking for some info....

Hi guys......I'm new to health boards, so I am wandering around and I found the Lupus site. I don't have Lupus (I will be 34 next week). My questions are
1.) Is Lupus hereditary? My maternal grandmother had it years ago.
2.) At what age does it normally appear?
3.) What is Lupus? What kind of symptoms does it have? I know I have no clue as to what I am talking about, but any information, you could give would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Looking for some info....

Hi & welcome!
1.) Lupus isn't hereditary, per se. That said, those with lupus or other autoimmunes in their families do develop lupus at a somewhat higher rate than the general population.
2.) Lupus "favors" women in their childbearing years, but can be seen anywhere from children to the very elderly.
3.) As for what lupus is, there are three "sticky posts" ( = permanent posts) at the top of the thread list which will give you a good condensed version. Before you start, picture one's immune system malfunctioning & turning out autoantibodies that attack one's own cells.

FYI, the "stickies" decribe classic SLE = systemic lupus erythematosus. There are also four other "subsets": SCLE (subacte cutaneous LE), DLE (discoid LE), DILE (Drug-induced LE), and neonatal.

You could also try the search box above (upper left of screen).

Regards, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread