It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
pitting edema?

I have had mild pitting edema and lots of non-pitting but this is worse than ever. It never goes away on my ankles. Even straight out of bed it is a 1/2 inch pit and even gets worse through out the day extending up my calf and shin. Anyone have this problem and what if anything can you do for it? Friday it was so bad it felt like my legs were going to pop!

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: pitting edema?

Are you on a diuretic? If not that would be something for you to ask your Dr. about being put on. How are your kidneys in general? Have you had a urinalysis since the edema became so much worse? Is your blood pressure elevated? The kind of edema you are describing I have had one time for a period of about 4 wks.....I was in really rough shape and urgent medical care was required. Try to get to a Dr. asap and try to elevate your feet and watch the sodium intake until then. I know this is a miserable thing to have ,I feel for you ((((((((((hugs)))))))))), and hope it goes away soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticchic View Post
Are you on a diuretic? If not that would be something for you to ask your Dr. about being put on. How are your kidneys in general? Have you had a urinalysis since the edema became so much worse? Is your blood pressure elevated? The kind of edema you are describing I have had one time for a period of about 4 wks.....I was in really rough shape and urgent medical care was required. Try to get to a Dr. asap and try to elevate your feet and watch the sodium intake until then. I know this is a miserable thing to have ,I feel for you ((((((((((hugs)))))))))), and hope it goes away soon.
I have lasiks that I take for it, but that was given to me when I had the non pitting edema, he has not yet seen this. Like I said, I had it mildly before where you could press and it would leave a slight indentation and I would always have the indents from my socks, but this is much worse than it has ever been before, I can actually make a hole in my shin and in my ankle, the only way to describe it is it is like silly putty.

I know I have kidney problems, and have for a while. I was suppose to see a nephrologist for a biopsy, but to be honest I haven't had the money and was hoping the cellcept would help. My fingers have even been pitting.

Like I said, this really got going on Friday and my dr isnt in his office on fridays. I will definately give him a call on monday. I have been trying to keep off of them. The stay swollen anyway, but the pressure gets pretty bad and my feet start going numb.

I know I have been having a pretty significant flare (actually I have been active for 2 1/2 years and have yet to acheive remission, it just gets worse) He told me on the 24th that my blood work didn't look too good right now, I had had a few good days and wanted to lower my prednisone (this was after the visit to the er and the dr giving me such a hard time about all of the toxic meds I was taking) He said no way, not right now. And actually was talking about increasing my cellcept dosage from 2000 mg a day to 2500 mg a day since I was not responding well. I felt better, but I thing that might have been relative since I was in tears for the 2 weeks before. After a couple of weeks like that, the slightest relief makes a huge difference if you know what I mean. I have been getting up all night to go to the bathroom and I have noticed more foam.

I will call him monday and let him know what is going on. I have been watching my salt intake too. Hopefully it will let up soon. It isnt really painful, just very uncomfortable. I have a pretty high pain tolerance though.

Erin
Dallas TX

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

realisticchic HB User

Good Grief! You have had such a run of hard times lately, certainly more than your share. I understand about the money thing.....this disease is soooo expensive . Foam in the urine is not a good thing. When I had the pitting edema the Dr. took forever to do anything, there was protien in my urine and my BP was really high. I had the edema from my knees down, my elbows down and on my neck and face. I remember the nurse telling me to lay on my left side because it was somehow better, although I can't recall now why it was supposedly better. My Dr. told me to eat less protien too, which I still don't understand why he said that, but I did what I was told nonetheless. I agree with you, that any litle improvement can make a huge difference, and sometimes make you think you feel better than you do in reality. Are you going to increase the cellcept? I hope you get a break soon, that remission is just around the corner for you .I have heard that cellcept, like plaquenil can take a little while to really start working. Sending you prayers and positive *****

Closed Thread