It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

indra23 HB User
pain meds

I have finally gone on big hitter pain meds.after 23yrs i'm tired of fighting it when i don't have to. my doc pharmacist,husband were all in agreement with me.so i am taking methadone with dilaudid for breakthru and valium for muscle spasm.it has been the best choice for right now.my husband keeps it under lock and key so there is no chance of my taking more then i am supposed to. this was my decision.what do the rest of you do for pain.i also use a tens unit, ice warm baths, massage, and some herbals. thanks indra23

Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: pain meds

I personally would not be taking that heavy of pain medication. I take ultram and vicodin. I try to use just the ultram as much as possible and will take 2 vicodin a day with one booster if it is really severe but I have taken dilaudid before and there is just no reason to take that heavy of pain med especially since this is a chronic condition which will be a lifetime situation. Once you start taking the heavier stuff then that is all that will work for you and eventually they will even lose effectiveness. Take it from someone who knows. I had TMJ from hell and even had to have both jaw joints replaced with prosthetics. I had so much pain from my jaw I could barely function and they had me on dilaudid, vicodin and valium as well. I got to the point where I couldnt handle any pain at all and eventually ended up quitting cold turkey off of everything. The physical withdrawels were hell. That is why I am so afraid of them now and will not take more than I do.

Have you tried taking vicodin ES and ultram or another anti inflamatory med in conjunction with it? I would try that before jumping into the methadone and dilaudid. Especially if you work. You will not be able to function. You might think you are, but they will really effect your memory. I watched an entire movie after taking dilaudid and had absolutely no recollection whatsoever of the movie. I even watched it again later and not even a glimmer of recognition or even deja vu.

Just my opinion though. I don't believe you should be in pain, but I would definately try other options or medications first.

Erin
Dallas TX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

indra23 HB User

thank you for your input, i am obviously feeling funny about it myself and that is why i wanted input. i cannot take any tylenol or nsaids for the rest of my life. i almost lost my liver last year.ultram just does not touch it. i also have degenerative disc disease from neck to lower sacrum,my whole spine is basically bone on bone, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy in left arm and leg which i have to have nerves burned off my spine every couple years to even be able to have clothes touch them. plus necrotic areas all over my body. this is in addition to the lupus.i know i am trying to justify the heavier pain meds,but lord what a relief they have been. i too am afraid of the addiction and went into this knowing full well it would happen.i also talked with doc about that, and if i want to stop taking the frugs we have a very slow weaning process we have talked about.i am going to take the relief for now, even though i don't feel right about the level of medication. i guess after 23yrs. of being strong,i'm going to be weak for awhile.i do respect your advice totally,and even agree with it,just not right now. i hope i don't regret it.love always indra23

Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I completely understand the need for a break in the pain... Boy do I ever!

Erin
Dallas TX

Closed Thread