It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

indra23 HB User
just finished course of sulfa

i have been reading about antibiotics and lupus and have learned alot from ya'all,i had a bad bladder infection and just finished a course of septra ds for 10 days.the lupus flare has stayed the same this time but alot of times seems to improve after sulfa. not this time. do you think i have made things worse by taking sulfa and what would be better to ask for next time. i get a few bladder infections a year. thanks indra23

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: just finished course of sulfa

Hi -

I don't know about you, but I'm allergic to sulfa as are many lupus patients. I was put on Celebrex, which has a sulfonamide in its chemical makeup. I didn't know I was allergic to anything at the time. All the while I was taking it, I had a horrible rash on my arms; my lower joints took turns swelling; and I couldn't stand up for more than 20 minutes because of pain in my legs. Once an astute doctor noticed my symptoms were much worse while on Celebrex and took me off it, I was 100% better within days and the rash on my arms went away.

Keep it in mind that you could develop an allergy to Sulfa, too.

Wishing you well! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: just finished course of sulfa

Hi, I had a severe allergic reaction to sulfa antibiotics that put me in the ER. THe hives and rash I got covered my entire body and I mean everwhere. I got a 104 fever and had to be injected with prednisone & benadryl at the ER. The rash took about 2 or 3 months to finally fade away. So the last bladder infection I had, I was given Cipro (I think that's what it was called) and I did not have any reactions from it...Cipro is NOT sulfa based nor it is related to penicillin (I also have an allergy to penicllin). So that is another option. I think another would is called Levaquin.

Closed Thread