It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

GoD'sOnMySid3 HB User
Menstrual Problems

Hi,

My name is Barbara and I was diagnose with SLE 4 years ago. Since then my mentrual cycle has been abnormal. The OBGYN told me that the cause of my abnormal period is because of my Lupus. We are in September 2007 and the last time I had my period was January 2007 which started in November or December of 2006. Is there anyone else who suffers from Lupus and also had abnormal period? If so what has your doctors told you?: confused:

Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Menstrual Problems

Hi. The first period I skipped was at the time my first widespread rash erupted (with anemia, joint pain, headaches, weight loss, etc.). My periods were erratic from that time onward, and I ended up going into menopause a few years earlier than the average.

Recently an assistant in my rheumie's office was making small talk while doing a test. He said that the lid comes off quite often in people with lupus during hormonal shifts. His comment made me look way back. I had early signs of lupus when I was 13 & had just started having periods: severe bone pain, elevated sed rate, WBC way off, fever, hair loss, etc. And thru the years, I had many episodes of bizarre periods, some lasting weeks, lots of pain, etc. And I was never able to take birth control pills, as they so worsened my pre-existing periodic problems.

Hope this helps some... Take good care, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

GoD'sOnMySid3 HB User

Thanks, but what age did you find out you had lupus? Because I was 18 and now I am 22 and one thing that I want is a child. Do you think that I would have the chance to have children since my periods are so abnormal????

Last edited by GoD'sOnMySid3; 09-20-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
(female)

georgie04 HB User

Hi, I have not been diagnosed with lupus but seem to be hovering around the edges. I wanted to wait before replying until someone (our famous Veej) had given an answer.

But I do want to suggest getting your thyroid checked out for these problems - it seems that the thyroid is sometimes a casuality in the autoimmune process. I have had no end of fun and games in the menstrual area over the last year - and all so far all because of thyroid. I just want to mention it as something worth checking out, if you haven't already, because it is something that can cause mayhem but is relatively fixable.

I have spent a couple of decades trying to get pregnant, sometimes with success but always without an outcome - if I knew then what I know now (more importantly if my doctors knew then what they know now) the result may have different. So please pursue this with the best doctors you can find. From what I know there are many successful pregnancies with lupus, we have some of those people on this board - don't give up hope or stop seeking answers.

best wishes
Georgie

Last edited by georgie04; 09-21-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Barbara. In your shoes, I'd want my OB/GYN to be highly conversant with lupus, maybe one recommended by your rheumie & who will work hand-in-hand with your rheumie.

And like Georgie says, maybe there are reasons for your irregularity in addition to lupus? e.g., steroids. What med(s) are you taking?

Have read widely yet? Dr. Wallace devotes a full chapter in his hardcover; he covers the autoantibodies & the pre-existing issues that pose special risks. I'm sure Dr. Lahita also covers the subject thoroughly (I lent my copy & never got it back.) Also, you could find a lot of credible info by browsing (for example, the SEARCH BOX in the upper left).

I'm glad to see how young you are (you whippersnapper, you! ). I know you never wanted these fears at any age, but hopefully your knowing & getting the best medical treatment available can make all the difference. WISHING YOU THE VERY BEST, Vee

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

micandlebunkin HB User

My periods are infrequent when I am on Plaquenil. My Rheumy has never heard of this but each time I have been off it the periods come back normal. May be coincidence, may be not. ?? I do still get some my usual period symptoms of breast and upper back ache, mild stuffy nose, sometimes headache, and the witchiness; but usually no bleeding. When I do have bleeding (maybe twice a year) it is very light, just a pale pink tinge.

Closed Thread