It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

dreamwind HB User
Weird blood test results

I had a big workup and I want to share to see if anyone has the same issues as I do.

History:
low ana 1:80 homogenous and speckled
several years of low platelet counts (chronic ITP)
positive anti-platelet anti body
very large immature platelets
platelets have been fine for 2 years now
4 years of elevated sed rates 40-60
last summer elevated liver enzymes (alt and ast)
anti ds-dna low some number around ten

Two weeks ago:
much higher ANA 1:320 homogenous
slightly low wbc count
high RDW or red cell diameter ratios

elevated Bun (blood urea and nitrogen) 24 (normal 8-22)
really really low creatinine 0.2 (normal 0.7- 1.1)
rediculously high bun/ creatinine ratio because of the low creatinine
urinalysis shows 6 RBC, 55 WBC

Yesterday:
creatinine 0.5 (normal 0.7- 1.1)
bun up to 34
urinalisys shows blood in urine

So yeah after all this, the doc hands me a "depression questionaire" because I don't feel good. My symptoms are a butterfly rash on my face, painful fingers and toes especially in cold, chest pain that radiates around to my back (usually only in the summer), abdominal pain (usually only in the summer), general dizziness and extreme fatigue and a general lack of my period for the last 5 years (I get it once every 3 months or so for a day.)
Sugar is fine, thyroid is fine, hepatitis tests all negative.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Weird blood test results

Dreamwind, Hi. I'm only a patient (obviously) & my positive bloodwork results were in completely different tests.

That said, did your dr. review with you all possible causes for elevated BUN? You could search yourself using the box in upper left. Once you have your own list, maybe you want to call this dr. and ask which he's considered & to what extent each was tested.

His handing you a "stress questionnaire" doesn't sit right with me either, as though stress were the sole cause he's considering. I wish drs. would thoroughly consider the "pure medical" causes BEFORE considering stress as a prime candidate. I hope others chip ASAP. Bye for now, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

realisticchic HB User

Your bloodwork eerily resembles mine, as does your lack of a regular cycle, about two years prior to my sle DX. By the time I was Dxd, my anti ds-dna was extremely high, however my ana was only 1:40 Speckled. Are you experiencing fatigue along with the elevated ast alt? I ask because when my ast-alt were elevated I had bad fatigue, and really vivid strange dreams, then shortly after is when I developed the night sweats regularly. Do you have billirubin in your urine? That is something I developed later on also. Have you had your complement levels tested? c3 and c4 give a clearer picture of kidney function from what I understand. As for the Dr. handing you a stress/depression sheet........How the heck does he think your going to feel after feeling physically awful for so long, paying $$$ through the nose and still not having a DX!?? That is enough to depress anyone. The fact that he is handing you that, I feel, is an indicator that he really doesn't have a clue......time to get a new Dr.. Oh, as for hypermobility, I was dxd as hypermobile as a child. From an article I've read hypermobility is now considered a disease, often a pre-cursor to autoimmune illness....Go figure

Old 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

dreamwind HB User

No, they haven't tested my compliment and they didn;t test my urine when I had the elevated AST/ALT. I have extreme fatigue. My maternal aunt has SLE. I was strangely diagnosed with hypermobility when I was 12 (during my first chronic ITP low platelet mishap.) Also I have a horrible allergy to sulfa which I've also heard is common.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Shelby123 HB User

Is this a rheumatologist you are seeing? If not, you need one. If so, you should run to another one. You are describing a lot of Lupus criteria.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

dreamwind HB User

Nope, I went a rheumy before but he wasn;t very nice to me. Supposedly I'm getting reffered to a new one, but it's going to be a long wait for an appointment.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dreamwind, I went thru a goodly number of drs. who weren't very nice to me, either! It's demeaning, dismaying & all that. But, alas, when push comes to shove, the only way we can get answers is to keep on trying, so I really hope you do just that. We're always here to keep you company, so check in whenever the mood strikes, OK? All my best wishes, Vee

P.S. My own pre-conceived notions were all wrong.
I expected "attitude" from the rheumie I finally sought out on my own, at a big-city teaching hospital practice. It turns out that I couldn't have made a better move. My LOCAL doctors were almost all brusque, arrogant, and years behind knowledge-wise. Just keep listening to yourself, as only YOU know how YOU feel.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
(female)

marykay55 HB User

Vee,

My best results with drs have always been at the teaching hospitals. Dreamwind, I don't know where you live, but if you can find a teaching hospital, head that way. Otherwise, there are websites now where you can see drs rated by patients. I suspect the drs don't care for these, but I have found them to be invaluable.

Mary Kay

Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
(female)

lgr014 HB User

Mary Kay,

Is it possible to give us some of those websites where patients rate drs?? Depending on if they include multiple areas, I think this would be wonderful information!

Thanks,

Lisa

Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
(female)

marykay55 HB User

Please be careful when looking for ratings. Some of the sites are disguised by the insurance companies. They rate Drs on how cheap they provide care. Our local are has sites that are strictly done by patients. The ones below are national.

If your city is big enough it may have a City search site. Ours does and it has lots of rating of Drs, dentists etc. These may be accurate or not.

1. ( removed - commercial websites are not allowed - please read the rules )

2. [url]http://www.rheumatology.org/[/url]

This site is a good place to start. It doesn't have any ratings, but the Drs who are members are dedicated to their field. The best ones in my area are all members. I would also look for Board Certified drs as they are willing to keep up in their field.

I hope that helps.

Mary Kay

Last edited by moderator2; 09-28-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Closed Thread