It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

micandlebunkin HB User
Rash & Treatment

I was diagnosed with SLE in 1999. I have had many skin irritants over the years ; but not the "malar" rash. Then a month ago I started getting a bright red rash across my nose. I now have developed a patch of it at the jaw line of one side. It itches! I am assuming this is the malar rash. Also my ears itch HORRIBLY! One earlobe has been swollen for 2 weeks. The itching is driving me nuts!!

Are there any treatments for the malar rash? Well..anything besides Prednisone?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Rash & Treatment

Hi. I'm only a patient, but I *think* most lupus rashes (malar, subacute cutaneous, discoid, etc.) do NOT itch, except for lupus urticaria (hives).

BUT there are itchy skin conditions that people with lupus can get! I know a woman with SCLE (the same "subset" I was Dx'ed with) who had itchy, brownish, crusty, weeping dermatitis on her face & in her ear canals; and it took her weeks, and several courses, of daily IV therapy to get rid of it. Her ear lobes swelled up, too...

Have your drs. seen this yet? In your shoes, I'd call ASAP. Also, I've read that it is NOT a good idea to go overboard with steroid ointments, as they can damage the skin if overused. Let us know how you're making out---& GOOD LUCK! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Do you or did you have any pain in that area? I would go to the doctor as this could also be shingles.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, again. A distinguishing characteristic of shingles is that it "respects" the center line of the body, affecting only one side; for example, wrapping from spine to the center of the chest. So when a rash is on both sides, I *think* that makes it unlikely that it's shingles... (Went thru this with my Dad...)

Good luck getting this figured out, from Vee

Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

It is true that shingles usually affects one side of the body. However-I had shingles (the first time) 2 years ago, had no idea what it was, didn't go to the doctor right away and ended up with a very severe case that also got infected. It did start on one side but then started to erupt on the other as well as other areas of my body. This is called disseminated shingles (I think). Anyway you are also supposed to only get it once BUT if you have an auto-immune disorder then what is considered the norm for others can end up really messing with you. I have had many outbreaks since that first time and also suffer now with neuropathy because of it. I don't mean to scare you, it's just that had I gone to the doctor sooner and gotten on antiviral meds things may have been different.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, all. I just saw pics of the "disseminated shingles" that kdel described. Yikes---looks even worse than classic shingles, which are bad enough. The pics I saw showed it in all sorts of locations, including along the jawline.

Micandlebunkin, in your shoes, I'd just see my dr. without further delay. Whether it's shingles or something else entirely, I don't think you want to let it get any worse! Best wishes, Vee

Closed Thread