It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

kimmy46 HB User
Question naproxen, it's really starting to hurt my stomach, help!

My rheumatologist has put me on naproxen for my lupus symptoms. The medicine helps from time to time, but my stomach is really becoming sore. I always eat when I take it but I still have irritation afterward. I'm tired of popping tums after I eat. Does any one have any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: naproxen, it's really starting to hurt my stomach, help!

Kimmy, I just read one of the drug guides & saw that acid stomach, etc. are common, especially when you first take it. Also that people who have trouble taking aspirin may not be able to take naproxen. (I took it years ago & remember vaguely that it didn't sit too well with me.)

I'd ask my dr. what to do... e.g., are there any forms that are easier on the stomach, like coated or time-release? Maybe certain foods that can help offset the effect?

If you can't get comfortable with it, maybe there's some other med you could try? Hope you get some help soon. Best wishes to you, from Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 09-26-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Shelby123 HB User

Kimmy:

I've been on 1,000 mg's of Naproxen daily for three and a half years. It is the only thing that ever helped with the inflammation.

My doctor prescribed Nexium to protect against stomach acid and bleeding. It helps some, but I think I need something stronger. I also take low dose Prednisone and aspirin daily, so a proton pump inhibitor is a good idea. You should mention it to your doctor.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
(female)

kimmy46 HB User
Wink Re: naproxen, it's really starting to hurt my stomach, help!

Thanks for the advice, I'm not scheduled to see my rheumy until Nov, but hopefully he can fix this problem. kimmy

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
(female)

marykay55 HB User

I don't take Naproxen, but I do take Nexium 2 x day. I am taking Mobic, but have always had stomach problems. We went to twice daily in the past few years and I don't really seem to have side effects. It is more expensive though...

Mary Kay

Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
(female)

TisJustMe HB User

Hi Kimmy,

There is a coated form of Naproxen called Naprosyn (sp). I've been on it before, it's the same medication only it comes with a coating so it's easier on your stomache. I also take ranitidine twice a day with my naproxen to help with my stomache.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread