It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

baker 952 HB User
plaquneil

plaquneil I have heard there is a lot of side effects with this drug. I have been diagnosed with Lupus. Something to do with vascular. The doctor actually said it was hard to really pinpoint it is Lupus. I already have problems with stomach and intesinal . What can I expect with this drug. I am to take it twice a day. 200mg. each. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shelby123 HB User
Re: plaquneil

I have not had one side effect from Plaquenil. I've been on it for two years. I think it is easily tolerated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I have stomach issues also ..IBS and diverticulitis . I have been on plaquenil since May and except for a little nausea for the first few days ..I have had no side effects...... Kat

Old 09-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Baker, I had two decades of GI problems which all but disappeared when I started on Plaquenil, same dosage as you. At first, I had a bit of nausea & some "halo effect" while driving at night; but both resolved quickly.

My rheumie asks that I have my eyes checked 2X a year, so I do. In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Wallace devotes a section to Plaquenil & eye concerns, how Plaquenil is a huge improvement over the earlier antimalarials. Reading this section put my mind at ease. FYI, you can find this book at most libraries & bookstores.

Hang in there! Best wishes, Vee

Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
(female)

watoozie HB User

I've been on that same dosage of Plaquenil for about 3 yrs now and I sure feel better and would not want to try to do without. Don't want to feel like that anymore. I've had a few days I haven't felt the best, but nothing compare to what I used to feel like!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Hi Baker,

I was diagnosed with Lupus in May and placed on the same dose of Plaquenil. The only problem I have had has been extreme bouts of itchy skin (especially my feet). A couple of months ago I saw a new Rheumie and she didn't think I had Lupus but didn't know what I had. She wanted me to stay on the plaquenil because she thought I might have primary Sjorgrens.

At the time when I saw the new doctor, there were days I could barely walk without extreme joint pain. Then a few weeks later, after I hit the four month mark, the pain had reduced so dramatically, like I read about and heard from others on the medication, that I couldn't believe it. I'll take the side effect of itching so that I can climb stairs and sit on the train ever day without extreme pain.

If you do start Plaquenil, you may want to try to stay on it for at least 4 months. You may notice a dramatic difference and feel so much better. I wish you the best!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Here's something else we've kicked around here. Some people who've gotten skin rashes from GENERIC hydroxychloroquine have made out much better with NAME-BRAND Plaquenil.

Also, antimalarials are the lightest form of medication. The second-tier drugs, steroids, and third-tier drugs, immunosuppressants, are known to have wider & more severe side effects. In that light, anyone who qualifies for only an antimalarial is actually fortunate.

Hope this helps a bit. Reading could help even more. Most libraries & bookstores have hardcover lupus books. Look for either (or both!) Dr. Daniel Wallace and Dr. Robert Lahita; both are high-profile rheumie/authors. GOOD LUCK! from Vee

Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
(female)

janmar123 HB User

I have been on Plaquenil since May and I now have itchy skin that is driving me nuts!! I take hydroxychloroquine sulfate, I am wondering why am I itchy now after being on it since May?? It has helped me tremendously, however I can't stand the itchy skin. I have to see my Doctor....any suggestions??

Old 09-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

janmar123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie10 View Post
Hi Baker,

I was diagnosed with Lupus in May and placed on the same dose of Plaquenil. The only problem I have had has been extreme bouts of itchy skin (especially my feet). A couple of months ago I saw a new Rheumie and she didn't think I had Lupus but didn't know what I had. She wanted me to stay on the plaquenil because she thought I might have primary Sjorgrens.

At the time when I saw the new doctor, there were days I could barely walk without extreme joint pain. Then a few weeks later, after I hit the four month mark, the pain had reduced so dramatically, like I read about and heard from others on the medication, that I couldn't believe it. I'll take the side effect of itching so that I can climb stairs and sit on the train ever day without extreme pain.

If you do start Plaquenil, you may want to try to stay on it for at least 4 months. You may notice a dramatic difference and feel so much better. I wish you the best!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I've been taking Plaquenil for about 3 yrs and never had one side effect that I know of. I have read it's considered one of the more safe drugs, other than some people can develop some sort of eye problems. Right now I am getting some hives back here & there but I dont' think mine are Plaquenil related.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
(female)

ibmeme24 HB User
Post Re: plaquneil

Hi Baker,
I have been on the same dose of Plaquneil for 2 years and it has been a great help, but I take both of my tablets at the same time. With Lupus, you will have good days and some bad, but the itching could also be point to other things associated with the changes in your body. How is your Thyroid? Are you old enough to be in menopause? Have you been DX with Sojgren's Syndrome? You didn't say whether or not you take vitamins. Niacin can cause itching, rashes, etc if you become allergic. I wish you the best in fighting it. I know it isn't enough to tell you these things, but I was just wondering. Also, they say to make sure you drink enough water to stay hydrated. Hang in there!!
Mary

Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
(female)

janmar123 HB User

Hi Mary, thanks for your reply. I guess I am not alone in this fight. I will be changing to the real brand name of Plaquenil, hopefully that will help. I don't know anything about sorjgen's syndrome, I am not sure I want to.... Yes, how true there are good days and bad days and for the most part I keep these feelings bottled up. I have rashes on my neck that are itchy and come and go. My dermo just took a biopsy and I am awaiting the results. I have rashes on on my back and pubic area and at times they are very uncomfortable. I do take multivitamins, not every day but when I remember. This is all such a whirlwind and at times really difficult to manage. I work and have young kids are am trying hard to hold it all together. I think I am perimenoupause?? who knows?? I just wish I knew if all these symptoms are drug related or condition related. I have been diagnosed with connective tissue disease but it is looking more like lupus every day!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Janmar,

I'm in the same boat as you. My first Rheumie diagnosed me with Lupus in May. I'm seeing a new Rhematologist in a couple of weeks and am hoping that she can tell me what I have. This will be the third Rheumie I have seen because the I got a new job and changed PCP's and the second one was rude and said if I had Lupus it was mild, etc. She thought I might have Primary Sjorgrens or some kind of connective tissue disorder. She kept me on the Plaquenil and my joint pain and fatigue have decreased so I know something is going on.

Also, allow a little time for yourself. It is hard to not know what is wrong with you, to feel aweful more days than not, and to try to keep it together for your family and work, etc. Take a little time for yourself, even if you write in a journal, pray, take a well deserved nap! Whatever it may be, just so that you can work through this. I also recommend some kind of counseling, be it a religious member, therapist, etc. Talking to a neutral person can really help with the built up pain and anxiety.

My prayers are with you and I hope you start feeling better soon!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
(female)

janmar123 HB User

Hi Angie, Thanks, I do try and take some time for myself and that involves exercise when I feel well. I am frightened to lose strength without exercise. I just started the brand name of Plaquenil today instead of the generic version, it will be interesting to see if the itchiness stops...It is funny my job is related to counselling and here I am on the other side... oh well, I look forward to good days and I try and ride out the bad ones... Thanks for your help..

Old 10-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #15
(female)

sheree07 HB User

Hi. I was diagnosed with Lupus anti-coagulant (vascular) about 7 years ago. I developed my first blood clot 26 years ago and they only named it as lupus recently. Lupus now also affects all my joints, particularly my hands, and the first major organ (pericardium - sac around heart). I also suffer from clinical depression and anxiety. As you can imagine I take a lot of medication. Every couple of months I have to take a course of prednisone (which I hate). I saw my first Rheumy a month ago and he put me on Plaquenil. He told me it would take a couple of months to take affect. I really hope it works because I don't like to take the prednisone. Prednisone interacts with warfarin (blood thinning tablets) and also sends my anxiety levels through the roof. I have had to up my anti-depressants. I found an article which said that about 70% of lupus patients suffer from depression. Very interesting! does anybody else suffer from depression and anxiety as well? One thing I have noticed since taking the Plaquenil is that my eyesight seems to be worse. will mention it to the Rheumy when I see him.

Closed Thread