It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

wynterq HB User
How can an ANA blood test go from positive to negative

Hello all, I have had a positive ANA test for 8yrs then all of a sudden it has been negative the past 2 x I was tested and I have felt worse then ever... Any Idea's why this could be?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: How can an ANA blood test go from positive to negative

your medications could have caused it to show negative. If you are taking immuno suppressants or prednisone it could happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
(male)

hlyles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStevens64 View Post
your medications could have caused it to show negative. If you are taking immuno suppressants or prednisone it could happen.
Thanks for this response. I thought I must be going nuts. My rheumatologist acted like it was my fault that a subsequent ANA came back negative; like I had somehow faked the first result. Then he wanted to argue with the dermo's report on the skin biopsy being consistent with lupus; said it didn't look like it to him.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I know how it is. My sister's (she has SLE too) has had hers come back negative on a few occassions. I think disease activity and meds do effect it.

Erin
Dallas TX

Last edited by ErinS64; 01-10-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

pickles38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynterq View Post
Hello all, I have had a positive ANA test for 8yrs then all of a sudden it has been negative the past 2 x I was tested and I have felt worse then ever... Any Idea's why this could be?
you will only get postive test results bask when you are tested during flare ups and negative when you are not having a flare up. that is why sometimes it seems like you have then it seems to go away, but you aways have it, it never goes away. and it makes dx it difficult. I tested neg in Nov. then positive in Jan., so it took 2 years to find it. because i would go to the Dr when I was sick, but go get my blood drawn when I felt better.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hi there wynterq,

Just a bt more information from a non-medical doctor who has had SLE for over 30 years.

ANA titers go up and down during the course of the illness so they may or may not reflect the activity at the time. Therefore it is not always possible to tell from the titer how severe a person's lupus is.

A titer of 1:80 or lower is usually considered negative.

Because a positive ANA test can be found in other diseases as well as SLE, the physician will use a positive ANA test as only one factor in determining whether or not a patient has lupus. A positive ANA test does not mean that the person has lupus. The doctors need to find out other clinical features such as butterfly rashes, arthritis, pleurisy, blood anormalities, etc. in addition to a positive ANA test before making a diagnosis of lupus. So activity or non-activity will not be determined by the ANA test only.

Hope this helps, take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-03-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Hi goldenwings,

I was just looking through this group...I've never posted on the lupus thread before. Anyway, I have positive ANA (1:160), and my sister has it as well!! However, neither of us has any symptoms of lupus...and my sister has had her ANA levels fluctuate throughout the last 10 years. She is now 45 years old...and has still never had any symptoms of lupus. My primary doctor said that some healthy people have positive ANA, and that it doesn't necessarily mean anything...and in this case, it obviously runs in the family!

The point is, you are so right in saying that lupus should never be diagnosed based solely on ANA blood tests. That's exactly what my doc told me as well!

Last edited by MaggieMay78; 02-05-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Hello,

I haven't been on here for awhile--been more on the fibromyalgia board lately. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Lupus in November 2006 with a positive ANA of 1:320. I had the initial test done through the local hospital here in San Diego which uses the IFA (indirect flourescent antibody assay) which is a more expensive, time consuming and sensitive method. The rheumatologist I was seeing at the time ordered a repeat ANA (with other tests) through Quest Diagnostics. My ANA came back negative through Quest, so they didn't do all of the other tests the doctor ordered. Come to find out, Quest used a cheaper method called EIA (enzyme immunoassay) that is not as sensitive, it has much faster results and does not reveal patterns. Anyway, both times Quest did my ANA tests via EIA (cheaper method), they came back negative; however, when the doctor specifically requested Quest to do the ANA via IFA, it came back positive FOUR times, 1:320 with a homogenous pattern. This was amazing to me as when my negatives came back, I felt crazy!! Like I knew I was sick, felt like I was on the right track and boom--a negative test. Anyway, be sure to find out if how the ANA was ordered. You can see this on the lab order slip the doctor gives you. Also, be sure to get copies of your labs and it should be written on the results as well.

I hope this is helpful information.

Kim

Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

Hi Kim,

I am confused...are you saying they diagnosed your lupus based solely on the ANA test?? That doesn't make sense...i'm just trying to make sure I understand you correctly...

Thanks,

Meg

Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Exclamation Re: How can an ANA blood test go from positive to negative

Hiya,

I am afraid I have to agree. Lupus cannot be diagnosed simply with an ANA test. I'm not being rude here at all, but like MaggieM78 I find your post a bit confusing. The only reason I am commenting is because others reading it might think that this is the case and so we need to make it clear about the criteria used for diagnostic testing.

The things I mentioned in an earlier post are only some of the criteria that have to be met to get a diagnosis proper as it were.

I wouldn't have thought that any doctor should have given you a definite yes to lupus using only the ANA test and results.

Please let me know if I am mis-reading what you are saying won't you ?

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay78 View Post
Hi Kim,

I am confused...are you saying they diagnosed your lupus based solely on the ANA test?? That doesn't make sense...i'm just trying to make sure I understand you correctly...

Thanks,

Meg

Hi Meg,

I was not diagnosed based solely on my ANA results. I had the fevers, mouth sores, chronic pleurisy, joint pain/arthritis/widespread pain and crazy weight loss along with the positive ANA. This lead to my Lupus diagnosis, which I take Plaquenil for. Over the past year and a half, I have also found out I have antiphospholipid syndrome as well as fibromyalgia. What I was saying, which I guess was confusing, is the initial positive ANA test was done using the more expensive method. Two subsequent tests using the cheaper method came out negative. My doctor performed three rechecks (which were all positive) and now always uses the more sensitive method when checking my ANA levels.

I hope that makes sense. I am sorry--I didn't want to confuse anyone. I was just sharing my personal experience with the two types of tests and the different results I had.

Take care,

Kim

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Hiya,

I am afraid I have to agree. Lupus cannot be diagnosed simply with an ANA test. I'm not being rude here at all, but like MaggieM78 I find your post a bit confusing. The only reason I am commenting is because others reading it might think that this is the case and so we need to make it clear about the criteria used for diagnostic testing.

The things I mentioned in an earlier post are only some of the criteria that have to be met to get a diagnosis proper as it were.

I wouldn't have thought that any doctor should have given you a definite yes to lupus using only the ANA test and results.

Please let me know if I am mis-reading what you are saying won't you ?

Take care.

goldenwings

Hi Goldenwings,

I reread my post and realized I did confuse the issue, didn't I? I am sorry for that. I am a little sleep deprived as my little girl has chronic osteomyelitis in her ankle, had to have surgery and may have to have another one. I have to stay up every night until midnight to give her the antibiotics she is on for 6 weeks. I wrote that on one of my late nights.

Anyway, I answered Meg and I hope what I was saying makes more sense. I was sick for years with fevers, pain, pleurisy, mouth sores, rashes, etc. What brought me initially to the sports medicine doctor that performed the first ANA test on me was my deep pain in my neck, shoulder blades, upper back and severe joint pain. He told me he was going to test me for autoimmune disease, which I had no clue what that was. My ANA came back positive and he referred me to my rheumatologist, who diagnosed me in 11/06. I had been told for years by my PCP that I was "just depressed" so it was validating to finally have a diagnosis.

Sorry for all of the confusion. I am not the most social person since I have not been well lately. I mentioned that I have fibromyalgia, which my rheumatologist says many times goes hand and hand with Lupus, as well as antiphospholipid syndrome. I am hoping maybe I can make some friends here who can relate to what I am experiencing.

Kim

Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: How can an ANA blood test go from positive to negative

Hiya Kim,

So sorry your little one is unwell and you are feeling so horrid yourself. Easy for me to say I now, but ryo to have a few minutes every so often of 'me' time.

I understand properly now what you were saying. Thing is you are really in the best place here for support and understanding. When others question what you have written, it is because we do care and want to help as much as we can. I know to get your lupus diagnosis is not what you would want, but on the other hand it does make you feel better mentally to know you have been told that 'yes' you have got a, b or c. This then means you can can work towards getting to grips with your health situation as best you can.

I have SLE, APS and fibro too, so I hope I can be of help to you in discussing these and of course anything elese you need to talk about. I have had SLE for well over 30 years and I want to and will share of anything I can of what I have been through, in a non-medical way of course.

Emotional support is so very important I feel and we have that it bucketfuls here Kim.

I'm here if you need me. Take care.

goldenwings

Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Hiya Kim,

So sorry your little one is unwell and you are feeling so horrid yourself. Easy for me to say I now, but ryo to have a few minutes every so often of 'me' time.

I understand properly now what you were saying. Thing is you are really in the best place here for support and understanding. When others question what you have written, it is because we do care and want to help as much as we can. I know to get your lupus diagnosis is not what you would want, but on the other hand it does make you feel better mentally to know you have been told that 'yes' you have got a, b or c. This then means you can can work towards getting to grips with your health situation as best you can.

I have SLE, APS and fibro too, so I hope I can be of help to you in discussing these and of course anything elese you need to talk about. I have had SLE for well over 30 years and I want to and will share of anything I can of what I have been through, in a non-medical way of course.

Emotional support is so very important I feel and we have that it bucketfuls here Kim.

I'm here if you need me. Take care.

goldenwings

Thank you Goldenwings, for your kind message. My Lupus and APS are pretty much under control with the Plaquenil and aspirin; this fibromyalgia has royally kicked my butt.

I was just diagnosed in November 2007 with fibro and have been on Lyrica for a couple of months now. I have to say that Lyrica has helped me tremendously with my pain (although I have had a ton of breakthrough pain today). The part that is most overwhelming is the "fibro fog" I am constantly in. I feel crazy when I cannot remember where I parked my car, left my keys, what I just read, etc. I feel like I cannot have a normal conversation with people anymore as I cannot formulate sentences sometimes and feel like in mid sentence, I just completely zone out (which is why I don't spent too much time with people other than my husband and kids). I feel like I am developing Alzheimer's at age 37!! I am totally overwhelmed by too many things and become so distracted. My rheumatologist took me off work until October which was a God send with my health and my daughter's osteomyelitis. I do not remember how I was able to take care of 3 kids, a household and work full time.

Anyway, I guess this is more of a post for the Fibromyalgia board. Are you over there sometimes as well?

What do you take for your Lupus, APS and fibro--if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks again for your post.

Kim

Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: How can an ANA blood test go from positive to negative

Hiya Kim,

Yes I spend lot of time on the fibro board too when I am feeling up to it. They too are such a supportive group of friends.

You will learn how to balance things out. I too rush myself ragged at times, but sometimes we have to. One thing I am learning to do a bit more after all these years is to accept a bit of help if it is offered. That too is hard when you are so independent and so on.

I take steroids and methotrexate for my SLE. I can't take plaquenil even though it is deemed to be a good medication because I have organ involvement. I can't take NSAID's as they interact with my heart medications, I do take tons of those. So for the pain all I take is paracetamol. I do wish I could use something else but I can't so I have to work with what I have got. I do find it so hard because sometimes the pain is unbearable.

I have always taken aspirin for my APS which worked ok for me. Last year though I had mutliple blood clots in my lungs and a dvt in my leg, so I was put on wafarin which I wasn't happy about. I never have a regular reading for my INR and last night went to the doctor's surgery and was told my INR was over 8. I have to be even more careful at the moment and watch out for knocks and bruising. He said I am at the present time at risk from an internal bleed. Good heavens, that's all I need. That on top of a flare which is making me feel dreadful.

I don't take anything for my fibro. Painkillers are out as I have said, so I use gentle massage at times and I have devised an exercise regime that requires you to stretch your muscles very, very gently. I have given it to a few people and they have said it benefits them.

I am trying to cope best I can as the moment, but I must admit - not like me - that I am finding things hard and I do feel yukky.

Take care and give your little one a gentle ((((hug)))) from me won't you ?

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-11-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: misspellling

Closed Thread