It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
(male)

tarheeldad HB User
Unhappy Anything I Can Do While waiting on Dx.

Here are the particulars. This has been going on for 3 weeks now since I went to the ER with what I though was some sort of blockage or something due to excruciating abdominal pain and fever.

-sed rate 78 (was 67 last week)
-ANA--not back yet
-r factor-20
-anemic
-neutrophiles high
-low grade fever -100.2 for several days. no longer have fever
-intense stomach/abdominal pain for days, nausea, loss of appetite
-weight loss
-rash almost like hives on both arms, side which popped up and went away within 3 days.
-skin sensitive to the touch.
-NO ENERGY
-sleep a lot.
-very emotional.

colonoscopy, endoscopy, barium test for small intestine, CT scan all looked good.

Gastroenterologist says it is some sort of autoimmune disorder. A nurse friend thinks it's SLE. Meanwhile, Dr.(gastroenterologist who ordered tests) has not returned calls and I am really frustrated. I cannot bear another weekend of feeling this way. Any thoughts other than to find a new Dr. I need something today!!

Last edited by tarheeldad; 10-05-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: additional info:

Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

realisticchic HB User
Re: Anything I Can Do While waiting on Dx.

The fact that you no longer have a fever and the sed rate has dropped some are probably good things. If you can't get ahold of the Dr. who ordered the tests before the weekend, ......you might consider going back to an ER....not just any ER, try to find one that is part of a teaching hospital with a rhuematology department. Rhuematologists deal with a lot of different autoimmune conditions, and would probably be able to DX the problem quicker than some type of Dr. who doesn't see autoimmune conditions frequently. I'm sorry you are having such trouble getting a diagnosis and relief of your symptoms. I hope things improve for you soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Anything I Can Do While waiting on Dx.

Hi. Your mention of recent weight loss made me think of gallstones, which several people in my family have had. Recent weight loss can increase the risk, which is what happened to my sister---that, and peanuts. Her episodes were after her eating high-fat foods. I think her stones were picked up by ultrasound, rather than by CT scan.

I've read that gallstones are statistically more common in people with lupus & other chronic inflammatory diseases. Sorry, I read this so long ago that it's fuzzy now. The SEARCH BOX above could take you to current info on this & anything else that seems in the ballpark.

I hope you have no more violent episodes & quickly get to the bottom of your abnormal test results & lack of energy. Let us know how you're doing, when you're up to it, OK? Wishing you good luck! Sincerely, Vee

Closed Thread