It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

Emerson80 HB User
Unhappy Rash + Symptoms

Please help me! I am worried and I can't seem to find any answers.
I am calling first thing in the morning to see a Rheumatologist.

Symptoms:
-> Face Rash (Worse in heat/after shower)
-> Extreme fatigue (Sleeping 15-18 hours a day and still tired)
-> Fever around 100 for 5 weeks (Usually between 99.6-100.6)
-> Aching muscles and joints
-> Diarrhea
-> Nausea
-> Abdominal Pain
-> White Tongue
-> Peeing frequently

The doctors I have seen believed it was a gastro problem. but nothing showed for any test they did. None of the CBC tests were off. No other blood tests run. It's not a UTI either. So they no longer believe that.

Please let me know if anyone feels this could be lupus. I have not been tested and as of now, no diagnosis at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-08-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Rash + Symptoms

Emerson, Hi. Sorry you have so much going on! I'm obviously only a patient. That said, my past problems were very similar, except for:

RASHES: Mine were nonscarring annular (targetlike), on upper arms & torso. I became horribly photosensitive over time. Duration: 8+ years.

STANDARD BLOODWORK. I was also B-12 anemic, with sed rate, WBC & RBC measures also sometimes off. Duration: I was first off as a teenager.

GI PROBLEMS: Me, too, big-time. I had all the GI tests multiple times & took Librax for years (it did not help). Duration: 20+ yrs.

URINARY problems: Another ditto, 15+ years. I had frequency & urgency, but only occasionally a true UTI. Once I had stones that caused a total blockage. My urologist considered Interstitial Cystitis but decided not to run the (painful) test because I had so many other things going on.

My Dx: I finally took myself to a teaching hospital rheumie. Dx was a "subset" of SLE called SCLE, which stands for "subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus". I was positive for anti-Ro, but I remained ANA-negative, which can happen with anti-Ro, apparently. I don't think my local drs. had ever heard of SCLE, or seen its unique rashes.

I think your plan to see a rheumatologist makes sense. Let us know how it goes, OK? And give a yell anytime, OK? I'm wishing you speedy help. Regards, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

jenny4480 HB User

VEE you have SCLE? What GI problems are you having or did you have? I have started having a few different problems with my stomach. And I really dont know how to deal with it. My Dermi,says not lupus related.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Emerson80 HB User

Thanks you so much for replying. I am calling right now to try and get an appointment.
I just want to feel better. I haven't worked in almost a month because I am so tired and my body hurts. Yesterday I could barely walk around the grocery store, I had to use the cart for support!

I will keep you updated!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Jenny, I honestly think my years of GI problems WERE lupus-related. Why? When I started Plaquenil & sun avoidance, the episodes stopped cold. Mine was malabsorption, which kept me (ahem) running. It was so severe one summer that I was hospitalized for it; even my throat was convulsing.

The rheumie I see was not at all surprised with my lifetime history, incl. the GI problems. I'd taken Librax for years. As my rheumie asked, "And what did IT do for you?", rather sarcastically. NOTHING, was my answer.

I've only met one other person with SCLE (other than here). She had similar GI problems from her teenage years, and her GI problems also resolved after being Dx'ed and put on lupus meds.

Are you on medication? For how long now?

Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

Emerson80 HB User

VeeJ,

I got an appointment for October 29th which is the soonest they had. But I grabbed it!

I have been reading that it is thought that Lupus may be related to the Epstein Barr Virus, which is of course causes mono. I had a BAD BAD BAD case of Mono 10 years ago. (It lasted at least 4 months, I was in high school and had to be home schooled) Do you think that this means anything?

With the GI problems, I have to run to the bathroom a LOT. Sometimes I can't even finish my meal.

With the Urinary problems, I have had UTIs just a handful of times. But I could swear I have one ALL of the time because of how much I pee and the urgency.

I have also read that people with Lupus and more likely to have gallstones because of the calcium deposits. Do you know is this is true? 5 years ago I have about 20 gallstones (calcium) and had to have my gallbladder out.

It seems that the more I research, the more it seems likely that this should be my diagnosis.

The cold sores, burning VERY easily in the sun, the rash on my face (cheeks and nose), sores in my nose, cold feet, hands and nose...... and so on, fit me to a t. I just never thought anything of the small things.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
(female)

jenny4480 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
Jenny, I honestly think my years of GI problems WERE lupus-related. Why? When I started Plaquenil & sun avoidance, the episodes stopped cold. Mine was malabsorption, which kept me (ahem) running. It was so severe one summer that I was hospitalized for it; even my throat was convulsing.

The rheumie I see was not at all surprised with my lifetime history, incl. the GI problems. I'd taken Librax for years. As my rheumie asked, "And what did IT do for you?", rather sarcastically. NOTHING, was my answer.

I've only met one other person with SCLE (other than here). She had similar GI problems from her teenage years, and her GI problems also resolved after being Dx'ed and put on lupus meds.

Are you on medication? For how long now?

Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

I just went and seen a Rheumi last Friday and he gave me Plaquenil.I have not started it yet because I want to talk to my Dermi about it. I just posted another post asking questions regarding my visit to the Rheumi for the first time,its posted SCLE questions,if you please read this post and if you have any advice about this let me know.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Emerson, Yes, I've read that gallstones are more common in lupus patients than in the general population, *perhaps* because chronic lupus inflammation affects the gallbladder.

I've also seen news reports that people with lupus often have high EBV levels. Mine was thru the roof long before I was Dx'ed. I don't think conclusions have been reached, though. i.e., whether having lupus somehow enables the EBV level to soar unchecked---or whether having high EBV makes it easier to develop lupus...

I'm glad you got that rheumie appt. booked! Best wishes, Vee

Closed Thread