It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

janmar123 HB User
chloroquine question

I need some information.. I was on Plaquenil since May and I now seem have very itchy skin and have developed an allergy to it. My Rheumi want me to go off plaquenil and on chloroquine.. I am frightened to try something else, as physically I have such good benefit with plaquenil.... however I am very itchy all the time. I am a little apprehensive to try another drug that may have other side effects and not give me the same physical benefits. Has anyone had any experience with this drug? please advise

Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
(female)

TisJustMe HB User
Re: chloroquine question

Hi!
I was on chloroquine for a few years back when I was first diagnosed with lupus back in the mid 90's. It is a very large white pill and VERY bitter. Unfortunately (at least back then) you can't get any enteric coating on it so it is hard to get down and when it gets stuck in your throat, the taste stays with you for a very long time It does however have the same healing properties of plaquenil which generically is called hydroxychloroquine - the same base drug. At least for me, I felt the same on the chloroquine as I did on the plaquenil although neither medication or any other has ever allowed me a remission from my lupus symptoms. I was told by my rheumie that chloroquine could cause more eye problems than plaquenil which was one of the reasons I made the switch. I think I also remember that it was alot cheaper than plaquenil... Anyway, I hope this little bit of information helps you somewhat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

janmar123 HB User

Thanks so much for your response, I guess I will try it if plaquenil is giving me rashes....

Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Janmar, In the states, this drug is available as a generic, hydroxychloroquine, or as brand-name Plaquenil. Some experts think the brand-name is less likely to cause itchy rashes. But I don't know what options you have in your area (sorry!). I hope you get something to work out better for you. Sincerely, Vee

Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

janmar123 HB User

Hi Veej, I have tried both the generic Plaquenil and the hydrochloride sulfate, but chloroquine is different slightly. Apparently it is an old drug, however it works like plaquenil, hopefully without the itch ! I was wondering if anyone out there had any side effects with chloroquine?? I am so scared to go off the plaquenil,

Closed Thread